Athlete of the Month: Judge swings into high school tennis

Tennis+player+Mose+Judge+prepares+to+hit+a+tennis+ball+with+his+racket+during+after+school+practice+at+Birmingham+Community+Charter+High+School+on+Jan.+18.+

Delilah Brumer

Tennis player Mose Judge prepares to hit a tennis ball with his racket during after school practice at Birmingham Community Charter High School on Jan. 18.

Katherine Chajan

Every month, we recognize two student athletes, one from a boy’s team and another from a girl’s team, for their performance on the field. This month we recognized Mose Judge. 

Judge, a freshman, has a newfound interest to improve his tennis skills. Starting only two years ago he’s now on the JV boys tennis team and is putting in lots of effort.

Question: When did you start playing tennis? 

Answer: I started playing a year ago or two years ago, I just needed something to do during COVID so I started up doing tennis.

Q: What’s your favorite thing about playing tennis?

A: My favorite thing about it is that I enjoy forming bonds with my teammates while playing the sport. I also just like being there with my friends from Birmingham. 

Q: What are some of your goals for this season in tennis? 

A: Some goals I have for tennis is mostly to improve, I think that’s what everyone wants to do in a sport. I also just want to have fun. 

Q: Have you played tennis before, and what made you want to do it?

A: Yeah I have played before in middle school during COVID, and I was just bored and always in the house. 

Q: What were your first impressions of tennis when you joined? 

A: I thought, “This is going to be fun.” I felt really bored so I really wanted to keep busy but I didn’t want to play competitively.