• June 7Grad Nite for the Class of 2024 on Wednesday, June 12
  • June 7Graduation of the Class of 2024 at 5:30 p.m. at Mulholland Middle School on Tuesday, June 11
  • June 7Senior Breakfast at 8:30 a.m. on Tuesday, June 11
  • June 7Last day of instruction on Tuesday, June 11
  • May 31Minimum Day on Monday, June 10
  • May 31Finals schedule is from Wednesday, June 5 - Friday, June 7

New senior contract aims to improve senior attendance next school year

Rikka Dimalanta
Seniors from the Class of 2024 and their guests attend the Senior Dinner and Awards Night on May 30.

The Class of 2025 prepares for a new senior contract after two years of its observation and revision.

“I think the senior contract is a good thing for students,” junior Alexis Abraham said. “It will reduce stress and make senior year easier.”

The senior contract is a contract with the school that seniors sign to stay on course for graduation. The contract includes agreeing to having a 96% or better attendance rate and having less than 20 unexcused tardies throughout the whole school year. Failure to abide by these requirements could lead to missing senior activities such as senior breakfast or dinner, prom, graduation and more. The Local School Leadership Council (LSLC) approved the contract on June 6.

Magnet Coordinator James Morrison is eager to reinstate the contract as it is normal for schools to have one. He wants students to think of the contract as a guide to help students throughout their senior year, instead of something that creates stress. He doesn’t want students to be overwhelmed. Rather, he wants students to be ready for the future ahead of them.

“Even as a senior, you are in training for college,” Morrison said. “The habits you get in your senior year will transfer directly into your freshman year of college. I am hoping the senior contract will help seniors build good habits instead of something we want to avoid.”

Senior Madyson Phillips thinks the senior contract would’ve been valuable to her classmates if her graduating class had one because some students need that reminder to help them through the year. She values the concept of the senior contract and thinks it could definitely help.

“The senior contract is a good wake-up call for the students that need it,” Phillips said. “People need guidance or things won’t get done, and the contract helps with that.”

Junior Jesse Medrano believes that the senior contract will be able to help and inform him throughout his senior year. He anticipates that it will reduce his stress and help him stay on track to graduate next year.

“It’s good to know what steps you need to take to be able to walk on graduation day,” Medrano said. “It will be really helpful to the people that are falling behind and the people that are uninformed about their senior year.”