• June 7Grad Nite for the Class of 2024 on Wednesday, June 12
  • June 7Graduation of the Class of 2024 at 5:30 p.m. at Mulholland Middle School on Tuesday, June 11
  • June 7Senior Breakfast at 8:30 a.m. on Tuesday, June 11
  • June 7Last day of instruction on Tuesday, June 11
  • May 31Minimum Day on Monday, June 10
  • May 31Finals schedule is from Wednesday, June 5 - Friday, June 7

Athlete of the Month: Thompson serves up excellence in JV girls beach volleyball

Giancarlo Valdez
Freshman Jasmine Thompson is an athlete on the Birmingham Community Charter High School JV beach volleyball team. This is Thompson’s first year on the team and so far, hanging out with her friends at the beach has been her favorite part.

Every month, we recognize two student athletes, one male and another female, for their performance on the field. This month, we recognize freshman Jasmine Thompson.

This is Thompson’s first year on the Birmingham Community Charter High School junior varsity girls beach volleyball team. As a setter, she strikes the ball with confidence and drive to help win the game.

Q: Why did you decide to join beach volleyball?

A: I decided to join the beach team because it would give me more conditioning days and more reps for volleyball. This then would give me a better stance on what team I play for next year.

Q: What are some of the challenges that you face in beach volleyball?

A: The sand going on top of your feet and weighing you down makes it harder to move as quickly as necessary. The wind can also be a challenge but you just have to adjust to your environment.

Q: How do you think your team is doing this season?

A: My team’s season went well. We were among the top five schools within our region and I am very proud of the girls.

Q: What is your favorite part about being on the team?

A: Going to the beach and being able to hang out with the girls has been my favorite part of the season. I enjoy spending time with them so much and it has been nice to see improvement in who I am as a player. I am very proud of myself and excited for this upcoming season.

Q: Do you prefer indoor volleyball or beach volleyball, and why?

A: I don’t know. I love beach volleyball and would definitely play next semester, although indoor is so fun and is what I originally grew up with but both playing fields are the same. They just come with a different level of intensity.