• June 7Grad Nite for the Class of 2024 on Wednesday, June 12
  • June 7Graduation of the Class of 2024 at 5:30 p.m. at Mulholland Middle School on Tuesday, June 11
  • June 7Senior Breakfast at 8:30 a.m. on Tuesday, June 11
  • June 7Last day of instruction on Tuesday, June 11
  • May 31Minimum Day on Monday, June 10
  • May 31Finals schedule is from Wednesday, June 5 - Friday, June 7

Bechdholt clinches first place in pole vaulting championship

Maggie Simonyan
Sophomore Tobias Bechdholt stretches during practice on March 20. Bechdholt is on the Birmingham Community Charter High School varsity boys track and field team, where he competes in pole vault and hurdles events.

Sophomore Tobias Bechdholt leaped to first place in pole vaulting while participating in the 2024 West Valley League Championship Finals. Despite the struggles he faced while training for his season, Bechdholt came out of the competition a victor.

“Pole vaulting season has been kind of tricky since the track has been under construction,” Bechdholt said. “So, I would say it’s pretty impressive that me and Jack, who’s the female pole vaulter, were able to win.”

The track and field team at Birmingham Community Charter High School (BCCHS) went to Granada Hills Charter High School on May 3 to compete in the 2024 West Valley League Championship Finals. The girls and boys all went to this competition, and each competed in various events. Bechdholt was unaware that he had won his competition. At first, he thought another had beaten him but due to the calculations of errors, Bechdholt won.

“It felt pretty good,” Bechdholt said. “I didn’t even know I had won at first because one of the dudes had said he did… but I had the least mess ups and everyone else had a whole bunch. I’ve only been pole vaulting for a year and I got the first place so it’s good.”

Not having a track to practice on impacted the players’ training hours while they tried not to interfere with other sports. After overcoming this weird season on the track and field team due to the construction of the track, Bechdholt still pushed himself as he advised other athletes interested in pole vaulting to do.

“Just do it and don’t be scared, lock in, do the work. If you really want it, you will get it,” said Bechdholt, who is also on the BCCHS varsity football team.