• June 7Grad Nite for the Class of 2024 on Wednesday, June 12
  • June 7Graduation of the Class of 2024 at 5:30 p.m. at Mulholland Middle School on Tuesday, June 11
  • June 7Senior Breakfast at 8:30 a.m. on Tuesday, June 11
  • June 7Last day of instruction on Tuesday, June 11
  • May 31Minimum Day on Monday, June 10
  • May 31Finals schedule is from Wednesday, June 5 - Friday, June 7

Class of 2024 prepares for graduation next week

Kristin Intal
Senior Derek Vasquez decorates his graduation cap during a cap-decorating activity in the MPR on June 4.

As the Class of 2024 awaits their graduation next week, many are excited to see what the future holds for them in college and beyond.

“Honestly, I have a lot of mixed feelings about graduating,” senior Derek Vasquez said. “One, I’m nervous to see what the next four years have for me but I’m also excited to be coming out of high school. Overall, I would say I’m pretty excited.”

The Class of 2024, who spent their freshman year virtually through Zoom and underwent weekly COVID testing and masking during their sophomore year, is graduating on Tuesday afternoon. Despite the challenges presented, these seniors have strived through and are about to walk at graduation into their newfound adulthood.

“I’m going to miss them,” Magnet Coordinator James Morrison said. “It’s been rough because they learned who I was on Zoom. I mean, that whole year was Zoom. They had a rough road and we’ve connected in multiple ways. I’m gonna miss them but I wish them luck.”

Each graduate received eight tickets, allowing friends and family to attend the ceremony at Mulholland Middle School at 5:30 p.m. Almost all of the Class of 2024 seniors are graduating.

“It’s always an exciting time because this is really 13 years in the making,” guidance counselor Martina Torres said. “I don’t really feel sad. I just feel excited for what the next steps are.” 

The keynote speaker is alumna Alexi Chidbachian, a 2012 graduate of DPMHS who served as Prestige Yearbook editor-in-chief. She went on to study journalism at CSUN and is now an award-winning digital producer at FOX-11 News in Los Angeles. Valedictorian Alan Ruiz and salutatorian Margarita Simonyan, who are Print Editor-in-Chief and Sports Editor of The Pearl Post, are giving speeches at the graduation as well. 

Music teacher Wes Hambright is also working with his music classes to put together musical performances at the graduation. Songs that will be performed include “What Was I Made For?” by Billie Eilish and “All Star” by Smash Mouth.

“The year has gone so fast that I don’t know what emotion I am,” senior Alejandra Iniguez said. “I’m feeling kind of sad and happy at the same time because I’m ready for that new chapter but I’m not ready to let go of the last chapter.” 

The Daniel Pearl Magnet High School Class of 2024, after facing COVID-19 hardships in their freshmen year, are graduating and will set off on various pathways. Here are 33 responses from our seniors detailing their post-graduation plans. (Jenny Marquez)