Athlete of the Month: Coleman finds happiness in running

Emily Flores

Freshman Monty Coleman outpaces his teammates during Birmingham Community Charter High School’s varsity track and field practice.

Emily Flores

Every month, we recognize two student-athletes, one from a boys team and another from a girls team for their performance on the field. This month, we recognize Monty Coleman, a freshman competing in Birmingham Community Charter High School’s varsity track & field team. 

Q:   What track & field-related experience did you have prior to joining the team?

A:   I did it when I was younger and it became a passion for me to join the team.

Q:   How do you feel about being the only freshman on varsity? 

A:   It feels good being on varsity as a freshman and no one believes me that I’m (a) freshman because of my height. 

Q:   What motivated you to join the team?

A:    Honestly, it’s my passion to exercise and run. It’s just my happy place. 

Q:   What event(s) are you competing in?

A:   I’m going to do the 100 meters, 200 meters and maybe long jumps. 

Q:   What are your best times for the events that you compete in? 

A:    For the 100 meters, my time is 12 seconds and for the 200 meters, it is 16 seconds. 

Q:   What goals do you have for track & field? What are you looking forward to this upcoming season? 

A:   My goal is to improve on getting a better time and I’m looking forward to having a great time this season. 

Q:   Do you face any additional challenges as a freshman on the varsity track & field team? 

A:   No, because it’s surprising to everybody because they didn’t think I was a freshman.