• February 45-week grades will be sent home Feb. 15

• February 4Parent workshop will be on Feb. 27 @8:15 a.m.

• January 24Senior panorama picture will be taken Wednesday, Jan. 30

Artist of the Month: Jazzy R&B singer Jorja Smith is ‘Lost & Found’

Back to Article
Back to Article

Jorja Smith, 21, performs at Øyafestivalen in Norway on Aug. 11.

Photo from Flickr.com

Photo from Flickr.com

Photo from Flickr.com

Cassia Ramelb

Jorja Smith’s rich, soulful sound generates R&B pieces reminiscent of Amy Winehouse.

At just 19 years old, Smith was featured on Drake’s 2017 record “More Life,” Kali Uchís’ 2017 single “Tyrant” and English rapper Stormzy’s “Let Me Down.” Other collaborations include Kanye West, Young Thug, 2 Chainz and Travis Scott. Among one of her most impressive collaborations is with Kendrick Lamar in “I am,” written for the Marvel action film “Black Panther.”

Smith fights back against society’s harsh realities with her album “Lost & Found.”

She highlights topics such as inequality in “Lifeboats” with lyrics such as, “So why are all the riches statin’ afloat. Seen all my brothers drownin’, even though they’re near the boat.”

Smith simultaneously questions why innocence can negatively affect the viewpoints of life and how maturity can ruin the minds of most.

Smith frames delicate thought and vulnerability in lyrics illuminating her feelings of growing up and experiencing the world. She converts misery to grace into whimsical “Goodbyes,” bittersweet “Tomorrow” and “Wandering Romance.”

Although her album focuses more on societal issues, songs like self-love anthem “Teenage Fantasy” reflects on her journey to learning to put her well-being and comfort before love as an adolescent.

She writes, “When we are young we all want someone. Who we think is the one, just to fit in.” Later in the song, Smith refutes her lust for love with the lyric, “I need to grow and find myself before I let somebody love me because at the moment I don’t know me.”

Throughout previous songs, Smith describes of the purification of her past mistakes and her hope for new beginnings.

Don’t miss Smith’s smooth voice this November, Smith at a twonight concert at Los Angeles’ Wiltern Theater.

About the Writer
Cassia Ramelb, Social Media Editor

Cassia Ramelb is the Social Media Editor for The Pearl Post. This is her first year in the student media class. She is highly active and participates in...