Lady Patriots take aim for playoffs

Julissa Rangel

Karina Mara
Defender Maria Ruiz out runs the two players from Crescenta Valley High School during a match on April 6. The Patriots won 11-10.

Long days of classes followed by hours of strenuous practice describe a typical day for girls on junior varsity lacrosse.

“This is a sport that requires a lot of practice,” coach Scott Silva said. “Not only at school during practice time but also at home on the weekends whenever they get free time.”

As the JV lacrosse season doesn’t begin until Spring, sophomores players Karen Ticas (attacker), Maria Ruiz (mid-field) and Angie Rumbo (defender) could only watch varsity games and participate in daily conditioning for the entire fall semester.

The players agree that practice is laborious and draining, as they often run an average of two to three miles per day, not including core work or other activities.

“What the team is doing as of now is trying to be more communicative to help out (our) players who might be in any trouble,” Ticas said.

Out with an injured anterior cruciate ligament, varsity lacrosse player Lucy Ishkhanian is helping coach the JV team. Silva agrees that by allowing her to assist the team, she becomes “better overall and gives her a chance to still be involved.”

Birmingham Community Charter High School’s Girls JV lacrosse team lost four to five in their first game on March 14 at Simi Valley High School. The team’s next game will be on April 20 against El Camino Real Charter High School.