• April 29Assembly with Dr. Baca for all 9th graders on Friday, May 3 at 12 p.m. in the MPR
  • April 29Senior Panoramic Picture will be taken on Wednesday, May 1 at 2 p.m.
  • April 29College Decision Day Lunchtime Activity on Wednesday, May 1
  • April 29To Infinity and Beyond Spring Passion Concert on Tuesday, April 30 at 7 p.m. in the Grove
  • April 20Senior/Junior Prom on Saturday, April 27 from 6 - 10 p.m. at CSUN’s Orchard Conference Room
  • April 20Movie Night on Friday, April 26 at 5 p.m.

Club Corner: Book Club begins its first chapter

Librarian+Alain+Cruz+talks+with+members+of+Book+Club+during+a+lunch+meeting+in+the+library+on+Sept.+21.+
Aidan Lia
Librarian Alain Cruz talks with members of Book Club during a lunch meeting in the library on Sept. 21.

Now that there’s a librarian, the library is bustling with activities, including a new bi-weekly club.

“You can share your opinions and stories freely (in Book Club),” said senior Jazmine Valerio, the Book Club president and yearbook editor. 

While in the Book Club, you get to read a book and talk about it with everyone in the club. The first club meeting was on Sept. 21 and will continue every other Thursday after that. Joining the club is a great way to explore a new or ongoing hobby and make new connections with others in the club.

“The book club is a great place for students who enjoy reading or for those who are interested in getting started in reading,” Librarian and Book Club supervisor said. “It is important for students to have that space to share that interest.”

Cruz helps the club in multiple ways as he helps lead discussions, suggest books and plans future events for the club. Cruz has lots of goals for the club like getting more members, going on field trips and having a bigger impact in the community. One place he is really interested in going for a field trip is the Huntington Library, which not only has a large library but also a large botanical garden and art museum. Another ambition of his is to go to local libraries and either volunteer or do a book reading.

“Reading is a gateway to different types of learning, you learn about yourself and other people. Being a strong reader also supports your academics,” Cruz said.

In the book club, students will be able to experience lots of new things that they wouldn’t want to miss out on. They will get to enjoy a good book without distraction and can talk about it with other readers. It is a quiet space where people can sit down and read.

“The book club is a place for everyone,” Valerio said.