• April 29Assembly with Dr. Baca for all 9th graders on Friday, May 3 at 12 p.m. in the MPR
  • April 29Senior Panoramic Picture will be taken on Wednesday, May 1 at 2 p.m.
  • April 29College Decision Day Lunchtime Activity on Wednesday, May 1
  • April 29To Infinity and Beyond Spring Passion Concert on Tuesday, April 30 at 7 p.m. in the Grove
  • April 20Senior/Junior Prom on Saturday, April 27 from 6 - 10 p.m. at CSUN’s Orchard Conference Room
  • April 20Movie Night on Friday, April 26 at 5 p.m.

New librarian fills vacancy left unfilled for almost two years

After almost two years of no librarian, the school hired former science teacher Alain Cruz who has filled the empty spot and is excited to be on staff. 

Of his two main goals, the first is to make students research experts by teaching them how to develop research questions and then use databases and resources to answer those research questions. The second is to make the library an extensive collaborator with other students and teachers. Until now, the librarian position has been vacant since October 2021. 

“I’m super excited about starting new programs, developing the collection and just really working with the students and teachers,” Cruz said. “The opportunity to also collaborate with teachers is something I look forward to.”

Cruz is also in charge of the leadership class where he hopes to give students the opportunity to collaborate and highlight events that they think are important.

Previously, Cruz taught high school chemistry at Valley Oaks Center for Enrichment Studies. However, due to Cruz’s passion for books, he decided that he wanted to pursue something that would specifically highlight his interest in reading.  

“I just love reading,” Cruz said. “I wanted to do something that could really promote what I’m really passionate about.”

Cruz also has a few students enrolled in Library Practice in which students decorate the library, learn to research efficiently and find credible sources. Although this is Cruz’s eighth year in education, this is his first year in the teacher-librarian position. 

“I enjoy all the different parts of being a librarian,” Cruz said. “First, I am a teacher. I get to teach. I also love to read. Getting to know what books are around and seeing what students are interested in reading is really fun.”

So far, Cruz is figuring out how to organize and classify books in the library in a manner that makes it easier for students to find what they are looking for. He is happy to make space for students who need a place to hang out, complete assignments and those who need a quiet area to read. 

“I just want to ensure that the library has what students need,” Cruz said. “For example, I had students come in today because they needed to print something. We are also working on making a more comfortable space here so that students have the supplies they may need to do a project.”

View Comments (3)