• June 7Grad Nite for the Class of 2024 on Wednesday, June 12
  • June 7Graduation of the Class of 2024 at 5:30 p.m. at Mulholland Middle School on Tuesday, June 11
  • June 7Senior Breakfast at 8:30 a.m. on Tuesday, June 11
  • June 7Last day of instruction on Tuesday, June 11
  • May 31Minimum Day on Monday, June 10
  • May 31Finals schedule is from Wednesday, June 5 - Friday, June 7

Portuguese class hosts party in honor of Carnation Revolution

Students in Portuguese 1 celebrate the 50th anniversary of Portuguese democracy.

To celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Carnation Revolution, math and Portuguese teacher Gonçalo Fino De Sousa along with his Portuguese 1 class hosted a party for the school.

“I loved it all. I would love to do something like this again,” said sophomore Jordan Viviano, who helped set up the event. “A party like this opens people up to different types of cultures.”

Before the event on April 25, Sousa and some of his students made paper carnations to give out to students. After school, the party was held in Sousa’s classroom with trivia ready for anyone to play. Portuguese pastries, known as pastéis de nata, were also available to anyone attending.

Students in the Portuguese 1 class made a video about how the Carnation Revolution was a military coup to overthrow the dictatorship of Portugal, which was played during the party for guests to watch. It was a peaceful revolution where soldiers received carnations from the civilians to show peace, not violence. The revolution ended on April 25, 1974, with Portugal becoming a democracy.

“The Carnation Revolution was entirely peaceful,” junior Benjamin Recinos said. “It gives awareness to how violence is not always the answer.”

Sousa arranged the event because he believes that it helps students learn more effectively. He plans on doing this same party every year and in the future, he hopes to include more events like this one. 

“Learning happens by connecting with the stories that make something,” Sousa said. “That connection can happen through a textbook, movie, documentary or even eating a pastry.”