Food manager retires after 14 years of working at DPMHS

Food service manager Kathy Mrasz is retiring after 25 years of working for the Los Angeles Unified School District. 

“I’ve been here a long time,” Mrasz said. “There really is so many memorable moments. I’ve been to several proms up until the pandemic and my husband always enjoyed going to them.”

Mrasz has been an essential part of the Daniel Pearl Magnet High School (DPMHS) staff for 14 years, working at the school since it opened in 2010. Mrasz started working at DPMHS once Birmingham Community Charter High School established itself as a charter that year.

During her time here, she’s seen many kids come and go, attended several proms, Pearl Cons and will dearly miss the campus and its students. 

“I’m going to miss the children,” Mrasz said. “I watch you guys go from goofy middle school kids and watch you guys change and develop into young adults.”Over time, Mrasz has been having issues with her hands called Trigger Finger, a condition affecting the tendons, resulting in stiffness and the locking of fingers and the thumb. Even though she’s had issues with her hands after years of service to DPMHS she continues to work.

“I’m older and have issues with my hands now called Trigger Finger,” Mrasz said. “I’ve already had surgery on my hand but it didn’t go well.”

After the school year ends and Mrasz’s retirement begins, she hopes to travel. Her husband and she have planned this stage in their lives for a while and hope to travel alongside their granddaughter. 

“There are a lot of places I want to go,” Mrasz said. “I want to see New Orleans, go back to Hawaii and Florida. I just want to go here and there and everywhere.”

Although Mrasz is ready for this next stage in her life, she will still miss DPMHS and it’s students. Because this is like a second home to her.

“I’m going to miss all of you guys,” Mrasz said. “I will come by and visit. I’ll be at Pearl Con and won’t forget this place.”