Spring into action with these 5 spring break activities

Now that spring has sprung, people can enjoy warm weather with the bloom of flowers, plants and many possibilities to enjoy nature to the fullest. With spring break approaching from March 25  to April 1, students have plenty of activities they can participate in with friends and family to enjoy their week off.

Los Angeles contains many challenging and engaging hikes that offer opportunities for great pictures. Hiking trails in Los Angeles are free of cost and effective for mild exercise. (Kevin Nguyen-Tu | Flickr)

Hiking

Hiking is a great way to enjoy nature while also exerting yourself physically. Although hiking is difficult to enjoy in extreme heat or low temperatures, spring is the perfect season to enjoy temperate weather while also getting exercise. A popular trail in Los Angeles is the Griffith Park trail for an encounter with the Hollywood sign. 

Ice skating is an enjoyable activity to do with friends and family at a low cost all year round. ()

Go ice skating

During the warm temperatures of spring, skating with family and friends makes for a perfect spring break activity. Many local skating rinks such as Iceland Ice Skating Center and LA Kings Valley Ice Center require as minimal as $20 in order to skate for as many hours as desired. Although initially difficult, ice skating is easy to learn from past mistakes and working your way around the rink with friends and family. 

The Japanese Garden in Lake Balboa contains many waterfalls, benches and walkways to enjoy nature. Many gardens like this across Los Angeles are worth the visit, such as The Huntington Library, Art Museum, and Botanical Gardens. (Randy Robertson | Flickr)

Enjoy nature in the gardens

During the spring, the environment shifts to a warmer temperature and plants bloom. This is the perfect weather to admire and enjoy the Earth’s natural beauty. To do this, one can visit spring gardens or fruit gardens where you are able to walk and admire the atmosphere or pick fruits and vegetables such as strawberries, apples, cherries and many more. One local garden that people can visit is the Japanese Garden. In such gardens, you can also walk, enjoy a relaxing picnic with friends and family or even plant your own flowers. 

Los Angeles museums contain art and history pieces such as artifacts, sculptures, paintings, dinosaur skeleton models and more. (Fabio Achilli | Flickr)

Visit a museum

A museum is the perfect place to admire famous works of art at a low cost. Although some require an entrance fee, most museums allow entry for free. Local museums such as the Getty Center and the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA) contain foreign paintings, sculptures, gardens, photographs and many more art pieces. The LACMA charges anywhere from free to $25 depending on age. 

Libraries allow the public easy and free access to books, computers and movies, as well as providing students with many resources and a quiet space to complete homework and studies. (Rawpixel)

Visit the library 

The Los Angeles Public Library offers a quiet environment for those who desire to read, study or browse the internet freely for research or work purposes. Some students who wish to catch up with their classes can use the library as a quiet space to better concentrate on their studies. Students who wish to spend their spring break free of studying can visit your local library branch to simply read or search for an interesting book to enjoy over the break.