• April 29Assembly with Dr. Baca for all 9th graders on Friday, May 3 at 12 p.m. in the MPR
  • April 29Senior Panoramic Picture will be taken on Wednesday, May 1 at 2 p.m.
  • April 29College Decision Day Lunchtime Activity on Wednesday, May 1
  • April 29To Infinity and Beyond Spring Passion Concert on Tuesday, April 30 at 7 p.m. in the Grove

Club Corner: Earth Club plants their plans for environment

Vice+President+Alia+Galvan+and+President+Emma+Rosenberg+hold+a+presentation+for+Earth+Club+on+April+3.+The+presentation+was+about+what+the+club+could+do+in+the+future+such+as+school+clean-ups+and+adding+planters+schoolwide.+
Andre Arcilla
Vice President Alia Galvan and President Emma Rosenberg hold a presentation for Earth Club on April 3. The presentation was about what the club could do in the future such as school clean-ups and adding planters schoolwide.

After the school’s Volunteer for Our Sphere Club shut down, junior Emma Rosenberg felt there was a gap in opportunities for environmental activism for students at Daniel Pearl Magnet High School.

“I’m really passionate about the environment and environmental issues,” said President Rosenberg, who is on staff of The Pearl Post. “I thought starting the club up again would give people the chance to participate in helping it out.”

The newly reopened and renamed Earth Club meets in Room 15 every Wednesday and it hasn’t been back for long, but members are already making sure to start drawing up various plans for future club activities.

They plan to beautify the campus by putting planters around the school and planting various crops. The club has had talks with math and Portuguese teacher Gonçalo Fino de Sousa to transform his outdoor area with greenery. They are considering organizing park clean-ups in collaboration with the non-profit organization TreePeople.

“At this school, some people don’t clean up their things and their trash, which is simple to me,” said Vice President Alia Galvan, who is on staff of The Pearl Post as well. “Maybe, it’s just one more piece of trash but it’s still adding to the pile of pollution.”

The club hopes to raise environmental awareness via posters and a plan to put succulents in classrooms so students can see the fruits of caring for the environment. Rosenberg said that the club has come up with a plan to possibly sell succulents to help the club pay for planters. 

“(The environment) recently became an interest to me,” junior Jennie Lopez said. “As soon as I saw the club was formed, I thought I should probably do my part and help the environment.”