• October 17Spirit Week will be from Oct. 29 - Nov. 2

• October 17The Great California ShakeOut drill will be on Oct. 23

• October 7Senior portraits will be taken on Saturday Oct. 20

Meet the new staff: New year brings new faces to DPMHS

Itzel Luna

"My favorite aspect of Daniel Pearl Magnet High School is the staff truly and sincerely care about the students," Spanish teacher Marta Rodriguez said.

As the school year begins, many changes occurred in Daniel Pearl Magnet High School’s previous unfluctuating staff as new teachers and a new magnet coordinator started their first year at DPMHS.

After working as a magnet coordinator at DPMHS for seven years, Nicole Bootel was promoted and will now oversee special-ed programs for several elementary schools as an assistant principal. Leah Pevar has been hired to replace Bootel. Pevar previously worked as a ninth grade English teacher for three years at DPMHS.

“I know all the classroom stuff,” Pevar said. “The in’s and out’s, all of that. This is the other half of that. It’s like learning all of the behind the scenes work.”

Many teachers have also left the school, including math teachers Anna Felix and Daniel Cramer and social science teacher Brent Abelson.

The new additions to the staff this year includes math teacher Lori Seo, social science teacher Francisco Ortega, Spanish teacher Marta Rodriguez and new nurse Cari Philpott. Philpott  will work at DPMHS every Tuesday. Trigonometry professor Syuzanna Aghazaryan also teaches a Los Angeles Valley College math class on campus to students in one of two Pre-Calculus classes offered at DPMHS.  The open spot for a new ninth grade English teacher still hasn’t been filled. 

After being the only Spanish teacher at DPMHS since 2009, Glenda Hurtado is unsure of how long the new Spanish position will be open. The school hired a new Spanish teacher Magaly Orejarena in 2016 but the position was eliminated the following year because of the lack of enrollment.

“I didn’t want to get happy about it,” Hurtado said. “I said ‘yeah okay that’s what we need to do’ but not necessarily excitement. I’m hoping that Ms. Rodriguez remains and that we keep our enrollment and are able to continue to provide students with new teaching methods.”

Sophomore Maria Strake who has both Seo and Ortega as teachers this year believes that they are having a smooth and nice transition.

“It’s been good because everyone is really welcoming,” Strake said. “They’re handling things really well.”

Itzel Luna, Staff Writer

Itzel Luna is a first year staff writer on Daniel Pearl Magnet High School’s newspaper. She hopes to better her writing  and photography skills. When she’s not writing, she enjoys reading and watching Netflix. Some of her favorite shows are “Friends” and “Grey’s Anatomy.” She is excited for this year and the two to come. She hopes to become editor next year and hopes to learn a lot this year.

Julissa Rangel, Entertainment Editor

Julissa Rangel is The Pearl Post’s Entertainment Editor for the 2018-19 school year. This is her second consecutive year on staff. Outside of school, Rangel loves to watch movies, travel, go to concerts and spend time with her friends. Her favorite musical artists are Kali Uchís, Marc Anthony and Rihanna. She hopes to see them all in concert before she turns 20. Besides music, Rangel is incredibly passionate about Marxist theory, the womanist movement and teaching. She’s set on becoming an ESL teacher for elementary schoolers but as of now, her biggest goal is to pass her upcoming AP exams with fives and graduate high school with a GPA of at least 3.8.

Christopher Sarenana, Staff Writer

Christopher Sarenana is a friendly giant who loves basketball, hip-hop, sneakers and video games. His favorite basketball team is the Los Angeles Lakers and his favorite player of all time is Kobe Bryant. Even though his favorite genre of music is hip-hop he listens to a variety of music ranging from hip-hop to golden oldies. His favorite artists are Logic, Notorious B.I.G and Michael Jackson. His favorite video game of all time is any “Super Mario” games. His favorite T.V. shows are “Fresh Off the Boat” and “The Office.”

Jade Campbell, Photo Editor

Jade Campbell is a Photo Editor for The Pearl Post. This is her second year on staff. She enjoys watching “Grey’s Anatomy” and “The Walking Dead.” In her free time she likes to take pictures of nature. She has one pet rabbit named Leo. Her favorite book is “The Telling.”