• October 17Spirit Week will be from Oct. 29 - Nov. 2

• October 17The Great California ShakeOut drill will be on Oct. 23

• October 7Senior portraits will be taken on Saturday Oct. 20

New math classes prompt problems

New math classes like Math 240 and Edgenuity Pre-Calculus have been offered to students due to the lack of a math teacher position.

David Eskichyan

David Eskichyan

Farah Faiza and Alexis Gutierrez

This new school year introduced two new, unconventional ways of teaching math in high school: one is online through the program Edgenuity and the other is a college class brought on campus from Los Angeles Valley College.

“I feel that it’s giving students the best of both worlds,” counselor Martina Torres said.

Last year at a School Site Council meeting it was announced that the funded Title 1 position held by math teacher, Anna Felix, would be closed. This led to the struggle of fitting all the needs of students into just four periods with only, remaining two math teachers available.

The original plan had been to keep Daniel Cramer and Leslie Hicks, but to add in an auxiliary teacher and a college teacher. However, due to unforeseeable circumstances, Cramer moved to a different school during the summer and only one math teacher remained.

To resolve this issue, Lori Seo was hired for the vacant math position. And instead, an LAVC 240 PreCalculus math class was made available and Edgenuity was provided for those students who wished to take pre-calculus but did not want to take a college course. While this may have cleared up some of the bigger concerns, the question remained whether these new classes would be preferable to the traditional method of teaching.

In the past, Edgenuity had been used for online classes like AP Spanish Language and Culture and Spanish 2. On-campus, college classes were also previously available but those courses were optional. While not required to take these classes, students are encouraged to take four years of math as it looks better when applying to colleges.

Through Edgenuity, students teach themselves with an online program and although there is no teacher present, math teacher Sunita Maxwell from Mulholland Middle School comes in to help supervise during period 1. Much of the material includes instructional videos, with students moving at their own pace with practice and review problems. For students who aren’t strong independent learners, it can prove to be a problem.

“I think for some students, it might be challenging, thrust into a new environment that’s not what they’ve been used to or what they’ve experienced,” junior Marjina Haque said. “I really do think it depends on the student. For some students, it’d be easier as they get to go at their own pace and for some students, it’d harder as they fall behind.”

The college course began the third week of school with Syuzanna Aghazaryan and proved that it would be a greater challenge than most students were accustomed to. The class moves much faster and there is an actual professor, yet students had to pass the placement test in order to be enrolled. Nevertheless, students will earn applicable college credits.

“I think it will help me become a stronger independent learner,” senior Lauryn Uhlenberg said. “It’s really up to me how much I want to study and how well I want to do in this class.”

Farah Faiza, Staff Writer

Farah Faiza is a staff writer for The Pearl Post, making this her first year on the team. She’s camera shy and definitely prefers to be the one behind the scenes, whether it’s taking photos or writing. She’s an avid reader and writes in her spare time whenever the mood strikes as she loves how words can create a whole world. Music plays a big part in her life, to the point where she can’t imagine ever being without it. She thinks origami is relaxing but no one’s ever seen her make anything but a paper crane.

Alexis Gutierrez, Staff Writer

Alexis Gutierrez is a senior who became a staff writer just this year. She regrets not doing it before because it is turning out to be an extremely fun experience. Alexis enjoys taking pictures and writing stories. She plays golf and likes reading when she’s not doing homework or college applications or watching Netflix. Her favorite food is pizza but she won’t say no to some sushi. She enjoys dancing and just spending time with her friends. Alexis wants to go to UC Berkeley or UC Irvine and she hopes to be a criminal defense lawyer.

David Eskichyan, Features Editor
David Eskichyan is the Features Editor of The Pearl Post. This is his second year on staff, his first being last year when he was a staff writer. Eskichyan enjoys going out and doing anything, as long as it doesn’t require anything athletic. When he is not spending quality time with his bird, scaring his...