• May 15Class of 2019 prom on Saturday, May 18 from 6:30-10:30 p.m.

• May 15Juniors will have SBAC testing from May 20-24

• May 15No school on Memorial Day, Monday May 27

Students take home multiple awards at national journalism convention in San Francisco

Kirsten Cintigo

Twenty-two students from The Pearl Post, Prestige Yearbook and Pearl Net News attended the national high school journalism convention in San Francisco from April 12-14.

On the first day, students attended a variety of hands-on workshops that were geared toward improving their writing skills, covering controversial topics, videography, photography and gaining insight on better page designs.

“I learned a lot on how to improve our publication and how to produce better stories,” Prestige Yearbook Design Editor Michael Chidbachian said.

Later, the opening ceremony commenced with keynote speakers San Francisco Chronicle Reporter Kevin Fagan and photojournalist Brant Ward discussing various stories they produced about the homelessness in the San Francisco area.

Students from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School’s Aerie Yearbook Staff were also awarded the 2018 Impact Award Special Recognition from the Journalism Education Association (JEA) and the Courage and Commitment Award from the National Scholastic Press Association (NSPA) on their coverage following the Parkland shooting. Students from Pittsburg High School’s Booster Redux were presented with JEA’s Student Journalist Impact Award for their work on uncovering discrepancies within their administrator’s credentials.

“(The convention has) shown me how other publications create their newspapers and has inspired me on how to improve ours,” Staff Writer Rudraj Koppikar said. “We need to focus on students a lot more and how global issues affect (them), which is what I want to do for next year.”

The next day, students attended various break-out sessions in the morning and participated in write-offs in the afternoon.

“One of my favorite sessions that I attended was from the journalism advisor at Parkland, I found her to be so inspirational,” Staff Writer David Eskichyan said.

On Saturday more break-out sessions were held in the morning before the awards ceremony.

Overall, The Pearl Post received three newspaper awards with first time competitors Eskichyan receiving Honorable Mention in Sports Writing, Koppikar receiving Honorable Mention in News Writing and returning competitor Michelle Kaganovsky receiving Honorable Mention in Feature Writing. The Prestige Yearbook staff also took home three awards with Yearbook Editor-in-Chief Zachary Gephart-Canada being presented with Honorable Mention in Yearbook Theme Pages, Design Editors Alice Curran receiving Excellent in Yearbook Copy/Caption: Academics and Eva Kaganovsky receiving Excellent in Yearbook Copy/Caption: Student Life.

The Pearl Net News Staff also acquired two broadcast awards with Associate Producer Amanda Jimenez and Camera Operator Judith Ntere receiving Honorable Mention in Short Documentary. In addition, Features Executive Producer Nikita Opel and Entertainment Anchor Sandra Ortega received Excellent in Broadcast Commercial/PSA.

“I learned a lot at the convention and it was so fun getting to meet journalists just like me from around the country,” Eskichyan said.

Kirsten Cintigo, Editor-in-Chief

Kirsten Cintigo is the Print Editor-in-Chief for this year's Pearl Post Print Publication. This is Cintigo’s third year on staff. She enjoys watching...

Julissa Rangel, Entertainment Editor

Julissa Rangel is The Pearl Post’s Entertainment Editor for the 2018-19 school year. This is her second consecutive year on staff. Outside of school,...

Zachary Gephart-Canada, Copy Editor

Zachary Gephart-Canada is a Copy Editor for The Pearl Post and the Editor-in-Chief of the The Prestige Yearbook. Zach is a senior and is currently serving...

Jade Campbell, Photo Editor

Jade Campbell is a Photo Editor for The Pearl Post. This is her second year on staff. She enjoys watching "Grey’s Anatomy" and "The Walking Dead." In...

Angel Rivera, Copy Editor

Angel Rivera is a Design Editor for The Prestige Yearbook and a Copy Editor for The Pearl Post. Being a part of the media staff throughout her junior and...

Michael Chidbachian, Online Editor-in-Chief

Michael Chidbachian is the Online Editor-in-Chief of The Pearl Post. This is Michael’s third and final year on staff. Alongside The Pearl Post, Michael...

Alice Curran, Copy Editor

Alice Curran is a Copy Editor for The Pearl Post and Design Editor of Prestige Yearbook. Alice is in her senior year and this is her second year on staff....

Angel Van Horn, Opinion Editor

Angel Van Horn is the Opinion Editor for The Pearl Post. This will be her second year on staff. Angel has been interested in writing for the school newspaper...

1 Comment

One Response to “Students take home multiple awards at national journalism convention in San Francisco”

1. Rachel Bullock on April 18th, 2018 8:05 pm

Amazing coverage of such a unique, enriching experience. Really good job guys!! Hope you all had a great time and learned a lot <333

• Students take home multiple awards at national journalism convention in San Francisco

Features

Film prodigy Lauryn Uhlenberg places first in regional contest

Features

Four juniors gain leadership skills at RYLA

Features

Felix says goodbye to Pearl Con

Features

Four students to visit Sacramento as part of David Labkovski Project

Features

Authentic eats at il Tramezzino

Features

Valedictorian and salutatorian announced for class of 2019

Features

5 ways to prepare for upcoming AP exams

Features

Baer nominated for Teacher of the Year by Encino Chamber of Commerce

Features

Kaganovsky receives perfect score on AP exam

Features

Smash your opponents at Super Smash Bros. Club