• October 7Senior portraits will be taken on Saturday Oct. 20

• October 6California Student Mock Election is Tuesday Oct. 9

• October 6PSAT for all 10th graders & some 11th graders on Oct. 10

Students explore beyond the living world at California Science Center

Michael Chidbachian

Freshman Gio Dominguez and junior Emely Felix touch starfish during their field trip at the California Science Center this past Friday.

Students gazed in awe at the bodies on display that had been stripped of their skin, revealing their inner workings.

When offered a special discounted deal, Daniel Pearl Magnet High School bought 50 tickets for California Science Center’s BODY WORLDS: Pulse. Students with perfect attendance were invited to see a showcase of over 200 human specimens just two days before the exhibit was to be closed to the public.

BODY WORLDS featured countless human bodies with exposed muscles, tissues and organs of real people who donated their bodies. To prevent decay, cadavers underwent plastination, a process created by Dr. Gunther von Hagens in 1977. This process can take up to a year and requires nearly 1,500 hours of working time.

The pieces not only showed the anatomy of healthy and diseased people but told a story. Some bodies took the role of swimmers and football players, tackling each other while others were performing tai chi or playing poker. However, they all had the same purpose: to educate the masses.

“The organizers of BODY WORLDS believe that when people understand more about how the body works and how it can break down, they are more likely to choose healthy and sustainable lifestyles,” according to the BODY WORLDS website. “Knowledge about what the human body looks like and how it functions is basic life science information that should be available to everyone.”

These ideas were portrayed by showing the fate of victims of obesity, smoking and poor eating habits with smoker’s lungs and similar items. Unpreventable diseases were also put up, such as the spine of a sufferer with scoliosis and the joints of an arthritis patient.

Some of the most eye-catching pieces were that of a pregnant woman and fetuses at the different stages of development. Students gained valuable information about the many factors that affect their health and learned ways to prolong their life.

Michael Chidbachian, Online Editor-in-Chief

Michael Chidbachian is the Online Editor-in-Chief of The Pearl Post. This is Michael’s third and final year on staff. Alongside The Pearl Post, Michael also writes for Youth Radio and has had a piece published on the LA Times website. Michael loves watching a wide range of Netflix originals and listening to alternative/rock music on his free time. When he’s not doing math, Michael is usually found in his school’s one hallway scaring his best friends. You can get in contact with Michael through Instagram or Twitter @michaelvchid

Steven Guzman, New Media Editor-in-Chief

Steven Guzman is the New Media Editor-in-Chief for The Pearl Post. This is his third and final year on staff. He enjoys spending time with his friends and going online to look at dank memes or watch Youtube. On his free time, Steven loves to game online, watch his favorite TV shows and listen to his favorite tunes. He loves to talk about anything related to Marvel or DC. Steven can always be seen wearing his blue lantern ring.

Julissa Rangel, Entertainment Editor

Julissa Rangel is The Pearl Post’s Entertainment Editor for the 2018-19 school year. This is her second consecutive year on staff. Outside of school, Rangel loves to watch movies, travel, go to concerts and spend time with her friends. Her favorite musical artists are Kali Uchís, Marc Anthony and Rihanna. She hopes to see them all in concert before she turns 20. Besides music, Rangel is incredibly passionate about Marxist theory, the womanist movement and teaching. She’s set on becoming an ESL teacher for elementary schoolers but as of now, her biggest goal is to pass her upcoming AP exams with fives and graduate high school with a GPA of at least 3.8.