Ms. Diane prepares her farewell to students

Dion Mazor

School Administrative Assistant Diane Seiger communicates with officer administrator Lupe Osorio about the day’s plans.

Ilana Gale

Nurse. Secretary. Special events coordinator. In other schools these positions would be filled by three separate people but here they are all performed by one person: Diane Seiger.

When the school year ends in June, the school will say goodbye to Seiger, who is much more than a School Administrative Assistant (SAA). She is a friend to staff, helps students with any problem and keeps this school orderly and running every day.

“She has made our school a very special place through her willingness to give so many extra hours of her time,” Principal Deb Smith said. “She manages a very tiny budget to make it seem like we have a million dollars.”

This will be Seiger’s fourth year working at the school and she has put her heart and soul into making this school an organized and welcoming place for all students and staff.

Many students feel like they can confide in her when they need help or just someone to talk to. There is always a chair in the corner of her office where students can sit if they’re upset, they need help or just having a bad day.

“She’s so easy to talk to and doesn’t criticize your opinions,” senior and Student Body Vice President Ana Perez said. “Ms. Diane has affected my life in all possible positive aspects. She listens to me whether I’m upset over grades, family aspects or relationship troubles.”

Top right: Seiger moves the table at the front office with sophomore Alex Ter-Minasyan during lunch.
Dion Mazor

Teachers can trust that Seiger will take care of everything that each department needs in order to provide for the students.

“She not only takes care of the orders, she reminds us when we haven’t ordered things and have money in our account. She is very diligent at getting us the standard supplies that we run through all the time,” Science Department Chair Stephen Schaffter said. “When we have substitutes she arranges for the people that we know and like. She really does a marvelous job of doing all the administrative details necessary for running a school.”

Teachers will also miss her positive attitude.

“I will miss Ms. Diane’s honest, humorous, straightforward assessment of things that are taking place. Ms. Diane is always good for a laugh when things get stressful or difficult,” English Department Chair Paul Viskanta said.

Seiger is retiring so she can be a grandmother.  She is moving to Modesto, California to baby sit and spend time with her grandson, Jaxson because her daughter will be teaching elementary school computer technology.

“I would have loved to have been able to be at this school my whole 16 years with the district. If my daughter lived down here, I wouldn’t be quitting. I would be here until I was kicked out,” Seiger said. “It’s very hard to visit her and my grandson but everybody should be able to find a job that they love as much as I love doing this job. I’ve never had a bad day coming here.”

Seiger will miss the faculty and staff but she has a strong bond with the students. She looks forward to hearing “Hi Ms. Diane” every morning and chatting with students about her weekend and their weekend.

“This will be a very hard school to leave. I feel like I know everybody here and I feel like you’re all either my nieces and nephews, grandchildren or my children. Unlike any other school I’ve been at, I’ve really gotten to know all the kids here,” Seiger said. “It’s really like a family, I love seeing the kids grow and become young adults. I don’t think I have seen any kid here not succeed and that’s very rewarding.

Smith is looking at candidates to be the new SAA but no one can be selected until Seiger turns in her retirement paperwork and it becomes official.

“There is no replacement for Ms. Diane but we will hire a new SAA. I just hope that she enjoys every minute of her retirement,” Smith said. “We wish her the very best. She can always come back and she’ll always be a shark.”