My Life Unplugged: Unable to disconnect

Freshman Lisset Bayardo uses her phone to show that she failed her Life Unplugged project. Life Unplugged is a project conducted in Journalism 1 classes in which students go 24 hours without technology.

Jake Dobbs

Lisset Bayardo

It’s difficult to imagine a day without technology. No social media, television, music or messaging. It’s even harder to complete a day technology free.

I know I rely on my phone a lot but doing this project was an eye opener on how much I actually use it.

It was fairly easy at the beginning but the difficulty just progressed as time went on.

I put my phone down right before I went to sleep and started counting the hours after that. I woke up to my sister’s alarm seeing as mine was not available.

I usually get ready to my Pandora radio but that morning it was awfully boring. I waited for the school doors to open with no music or daily social media. So I talked to my sister and her friends.

Since I did this on a school day, the eight hours of school were pretty easy to get away with technology free. On the walk home, I talked to my sister and discussed how our day went.

I felt I was doing well until the final hours. I grabbed my phone forgetting about the project and scrolled through my feed on Tumblr.

Even though I did fail my day without technology, I feel I learned something. I talked to my sister and family more. I did however notice there were times when I thought about grabbing my phone to reply to messages or to see what was new on social media.

I learned there is more than just your phone but also I am truly obsessed with my phone.