• April 20Senior/Junior Prom on Saturday, April 27 from 6 - 10 p.m. at CSUN’s Orchard Conference Room
  • April 20Movie Night on Friday, April 26 at 5 p.m.
  • April 20No school on Wednesday, April 24 for Armenian Genocide Observance Day
  • April 20Spring Serenade Festival on Tuesday, April 23 at 7 p.m. in the Grove
  • April 20Denim Day will be observed on Tuesday, April 23
  • April 12SBAC Testing from Monday, April 22 to Monday, April 29

Predicting the 2024 Oscars in 5 captivating categories

Wikimedia Commons | Luca Dondossola
The 96th Academy Awards ceremony will be hosted by Jimmy Kimmel in the Dolby Theatre this Sunday. During this annual event, many people in the film industry are spotlighted and awarded for their work and accomplishments.

This year’s 96th Academy Awards ceremony will highlight actors, actresses, filmmakers and more for the work they have produced this past year. The 2024 Oscars are being held at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood and will be hosted by Jimmy Kimmel this Sunday at 4 p.m. As the ceremony approaches, here are some predictions of who will get the chance to win an award on this big night.

Best Original Song

The Fire Inside (from “Flamin’ Hot”)
Music and Lyric by Diane Warren
I’m Just Ken (from “Barbie”)
Music and Lyric by Mark Ronson and Andrew Wyatt
It Never Went Away (from “American Symphony”)
Music and Lyric by Jon Batiste and Dan Wilson
Wahzhazhe (A Song for My People) (from “Killers of the Flower Moon”)
Music and Lyric by Scott George
What Was I Made For? (from “Barbie”)
Music and Lyric by Billie Eilish and Finneas O’Connell

“What Was I Made For?” by Billie Eilish and Finneas O’Connell was a fan favorite and received positive feedback after the release of “Barbie.” The song highlights themes of identity and purpose shown throughout the movie that left people’s hearts touched. Fans of the two artists and the movie expressed their deep connection found within the emotion-filled song, which caused it to go viral all over social media. The song reached 8.4 million views on YouTube in four days and won “Song of the Year” at the Grammys last month. It wouldn’t be a surprise if the song were to win another award. 

Animated Feature Film 

“Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse” garnered attention from all age groups through its vibrant animation, energetic soundtrack and well-developed storyline. (Sony Pictures Releasing)
“The Boy and the Heron”
Hayao Miyazaki and Toshio Suzuki
“Elemental”
Peter Sohn and Denise Ream
“Nimona”
Nick Bruno, Troy Quane, Karen Ryan and Julie Zackary
“Robot Dreams”
Pablo Berger, Ibon Cormenzana, Ignasi Estapé and Sandra Tapia Díaz
“Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse”
Kemp Powers, Justin K. Thompson, Phil Lord, Christopher Miller and Amy Pascal

“Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse” follows the life of Miles Morales and his journey through the multiverse of Spider-Man. This movie had received amazing reviews from people of all ages, therefore showing how people were excited for this sequel to “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.” The animations and pop of color made the film an exciting visual experience and gave it a comic book feel. The plot and storyline development left viewers in suspense wondering when the next movie will be released and how it will end. 

Costume Design 

“Poor Things” takes place in Victorian London where a young woman experiences a brain transplant and goes through a journey of self-discovery and understanding. Holly Waddington’s costume designs captured the movie’s 19th century aesthetic beautifully while adding a modern spin to the outfits. (Searchlight Pictures)
“Barbie” Jacqueline Durran
“Killers of the Flower Moon” Jacqueline West
“Napoleon” Janty Yates and Dave Crossman
“Oppenheimer” Ellen Mirojnick
“Poor Things” Holly Waddington

The costumes for “Barbie” and “Poor Things” have both shown iconic and intriguing looks, however “Poor Things” will definitely have a shot at winning Best Costume Design. “Barbie” had many costumes that allowed people to reminisce on their childhood but “Poor Things” had captured and executed the 19th century time period in a special way. “Poor Things” takes place in Victorian London where a young woman experiences a brain transplant and goes through a journey of self-discovery and understanding. Holly Waddington’s costume designs in the film were very unique but still captured the aesthetic of the 19th century while adding a modern take on a lot of the outfits. Most of the costumes consisted of ruffles, varieties of colors along with jewelry that complemented the very detailed, quirky outfits. Waddington did exceptional work in contributing modern and specific details to these designs that added further meaning to certain parts of the film.

Actress in a Leading Role

Lily Gladstone’s role in “Killers of the Flower Moon” helped convey an incredible, drama-filled movie. She is the first Native American actress to be nominated in the Best Actress category. (Paramount Pictures)
Annette Bening, “Nyad”
Lily Gladstone, “Killers of the Flower Moon”
Sandra Hüller, “Anatomy of a Fall”
Carey Mulligan, “Maestro”
Emma Stone, “Poor Things”

Lily Gladstone’s role in “Killers of the Flower Moon” helped convey an incredible, drama-filled movie that captured audiences’ attention. Gladstone made it easy for viewers to follow her in experiencing new and unfamiliar things. We are able to deeply feel her different moments of emotion through her character in the movie, showing a memorable story as she guides us through her unexpected journey. Gladstone being nominated at all is a reward, seeing she is the first Native American actress to be nominated in the Best Actress category. Her win would not only be for her work but also a representation of change in cinema history. 

Actor in a Leading Role 

Cillian Murphy fully embraced the role of J. Robert Oppenheimer in every aspect and received great reviews after the release of “Oppenheimer.” (Universal Pictures)
Bradley Cooper, “Maestro”
Colman Domingo, “Rustin”
Paul Giamatti, “The Holdovers”
Cillian Murphy, “Oppenheimer”
Jeffrey Wright, “American Fiction”

Cillian Murphy in “Oppenheimer” has a great chance to win Best Actor after how much attention the movie received on opening night. There have been nothing but great reviews about how Murphy has done J. Robert Oppenheimer justice. Though it was an exceptionally long film, people have said the mix of history, emotion and action make it all the more worthwhile. Murphy had fully embraced the role in every aspect and helped bring the film to the next level ensuring he has a large possibility in winning this award. 

View Comments (1)