Club Corner: Students’ passion for health inspires new Medical Club

Donovan Ochoa
Medical Club President Behishta Safi leads a group discussion on Nov. 17. The club met in Room 6 and planned for a speaker to visit the club in the upcoming months, as well as discuss possible volunteer opportunities.

Junior Behishta Safi realized there was not yet a club that focused on health. This inspired her to create the new medical club where students can learn more about healthy living and explore opportunities in the medical career.

“I knew that there would be students interested in joining the medical field, so that’s why I decided to make this club,” Safi said. 

When Safi enrolled earlier this year, she noticed that a medical club had not yet been created. She previously attended Ulysses S. Grant High School, which offered a Medical Club to students. Safi, as well as many of the other members, have an ambition to pursue a medical career after high school. The club is a space where students who are interested in informing themselves about the medical world and health-related topics can come together. It’s sponsored by science teacher Timothy Hughes and meets every non-Fiesta Friday during lunch in Room 6.

Most meetings consist of an open discussion where members share their thoughts or questions they may have with each other. These discussions bring up ideas such as hospital volunteer opportunities or people they could speak with about medical school experience, to assist students who are interested in the medical field in forming connections. Educational and health-related games are often played and the group ends with planning what they will achieve or discuss in the next meeting. 

“I’ve learned some things about how the hospital works and different volunteer programs,” junior club member Leah Balsin said. “You don’t have to be an aspiring med student to be participating. We have a lot of fun. We’re all very outspoken and we do games and activities.”

The Medical Club has lots to offer for students who are drawn to medical work. Students with a general interest in health are also encouraged to join the club. The club is a space where people can discover opportunities, educate themselves and make friends with the same interests.

“Our goal is to explore ourselves and talk with each other about if we really want to choose the medical path,” Safi said.