Countless clubs to join despite distance learning

Want to join a club at DPMHS but you don’t know which clubs are available? Here is a list of all the current clubs.

Nathalie Miranda

There are numerous clubs students at Daniel Pearl Magnet High School can join. Meeting times vary for each club. (Valeria Luquin)

Pride Club

This is a club for students who are part of or support the LGBTQ+ community. The club is run by psychiatric social worker Joanne Tuell and is a safe and judge-free zone for students. The club meets every Monday at 12:30 p.m. If you have any questions or want to know more, email Tuell through Schoology.

Science Bowl

The Science Bowl Club is a new club for students interested in science and math. Sophomore Delilah Brumer started this club and is the president as well. You learn about math, chemistry, physics, biology, earth science and astronomy. Students can focus on the subjects they like. They meet twice a week on Mondays from 12:45-1:15 p.m. and Wednesdays during lunch to prepare for the Science Bowl competition in the spring. Team members don’t have to compete if they don’t want to. There is one regional competition for all LAUSD students and if your team wins, you go to nationals. If you’re interested in joining this club, email science teacher James Morrison at [email protected]

Bullet Journal Club

The Bullet Journal club is a place for students to meet with friends and de-stress through journaling. It was started by junior Valeria Luquin and is supervised by English teacher Ron Baer. Meetings are held on Tuesdays at 2:30 p.m. The main goal of the club is to come together, share prompt ideas or layouts and share your journal with the rest of the members at the end of the month. If you have any further questions or are interested in joining, you can contact Baer through Schoology. 

American Sign Language

American Sign Language Club is new this year and is run by math teacher Lori Seo. The club meets every Wednesday during lunch. Their goal is to learn sign language and are currently learning the alphabet and numbers. The president of this club is Maribella Gonzalez. You can check out their Instagram (@dpmhs.aslclub) for updates and other information.

Broadcasting Club

The Broadcasting Club meets every Wednesday at 2:30 p.m. and is run by video production teacher Mark Middlebrook. The club gives students the opportunity to improve their editing and filming skills. Once a year, the club usually goes to a conference out of town, but due to COVID-19, that will not be happening this year. The club is still available for students interested in producing videos, to make some friends and improve their skills a bit. If you’re interested, you can contact Middlebrook through Schoology. 

Library Advisory Committee

This club has been going on for a few years now at DPMHS but is in the process of getting renewed. It is run by the school’s librarian Greta Enszer. You’ll learn about library resources, develop your skills with things such as the digital library and go on field trips and read to elementary school students. The club meets one Thursday a month during lunch. Want more information? Check out the DPMHS website.

National Honor Society

National Honor Society is a club on campus that focuses on helping students with service hours and provides information on different scholarships. You have to maintain good grades to be in this club and you have to apply. This club is run by Magnet coordinator Leah Pevar and English teacher Cynthia Wald-Barry. There is no specific meeting time for this club.

Black Student Union

BSU is a club where Black students can meet in a safe space, but you don’t need to be Black to join this club. Currently, there is no set meeting time. For any further questions, you can email history teacher Brenda Helfing through Schoology.

Get Lit Team

Get Lit is a poetry club that prepares students for a poetry slam against 50 other schools in the Los Angeles Unified School District. This club is run by English teacher Ron Baer. 

Speech and Debate

Speech and Debate Club prepares its members for different debating competitions. The club is run by a parent volunteer Ricardo Velasquez. If you have any further questions, you can contact Helfing through Schoology.