Four juniors gain leadership skills at RYLA

Keona Paniagua

Juniors Kim de Dios, Keona Paniagua, Alyanna Ahorro and Lucianne Lejarde attended the Rotary Youth Leadership Awards from April 26-28.

Mahali Sanchez

Putting themselves out there to reach high goals paid off as four juniors were given the opportunity to participate in the Rotary Youth Leadership Awards (RYLA).

High School juniors that are a part of Rotary Clubs are invited to apply to RYLA and participate in this weekend-long leadership program. Daniel Pearl Magnet High School’s Interact Club is sponsored by the Rotary Club.  

This year, juniors Keona Paniagua, Alyanna Ahorro, Kim de Dios and Lucianne Lejarde were chosen to attend RYLA from April 26-28. The goal of RYLA is to help prepare students for leadership roles in their upcoming senior year.

“I felt really lucky and overwhelmed,” Ahorro said. “Our sponsor mentioned to me that I was one of the students who received the district scholarship for it.”

During the three day program, students participated in team-building and leadership training activities. They also completed judging activities and won various prizes, like gift cards. Students were also not allowed to work together in the same teams during these activities as a way for them to get to know each other.

“I enjoyed taking leadership roles and anything that’ll enable me to become a better citizen and leader,” Paniagua said.