Club Corner: Honoring scholars at National Honor Society

Harlow Frank

President Astrid Cabrera, Treasurer Karina Mara and Vice President Michael Chidbachian discuss National Honor Society volunteering opportunities on Feb. 20.

Shannon Sullivan

Before another meeting of the National Honor Society (NHS) is officially called into order, members sit in groups to talk, eat lunch and do extra work.

Room 15 goes quiet as the senior officers and club sponsor Leah Pevar steps up to the front of the room. The meeting is mainly informational, reminding members to pay their $10 member fee and to turn in their logs for service hours. President Astrid Cabrera also brings up different opportunities to achieve service hours, such as helping to tutor their fellow students with Spanish.

Members need to have and maintain a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.5 and complete 10 hours of community service each semester.

“National Honors Society is for students who are dedicated to going above and beyond,” Pevar said.

The club meets during lunch at least once a month and is a nationwide organization. Being a part of NHS is also beneficial toward college applications and helps for college readiness.

The club exists to help recognize students’ hard work in academics, leadership and give them the opportunity to participate in community service. Members are meant to excel in the four pillars: scholarship, service, leadership and character.

“You are given the opportunity to be known as someone who qualified for these certain requirements,” treasurer Karina Mara said.

Since all the senior officers are leaving this year, leadership positions such as President, Vice President and Treasurer are opening up within the club. They’re not too concerned as to who will step up for these positions or for the future of the club.

“I have juniors and sophomores interested in continuing this club and I’m excited to see what they will do in the future,” Cabrera said. “I’m optimistic and hold hope that NHS will be one of the clubs that last.”