The sound of music pays off for Kim De Dios

Rachel Bullock

Sophomore Kim De Dios received an Honorable Mention from the 31st Annual Tenth District PTSA Music Scholarship on March 10.

Angie Rumbo

Since she was a young child, sophomore Kimberly De Dios always held a passion for playing the piano. This year, De Dios’s passion paid off at the 31st Annual Tenth District PTSA Music Scholarship on March 10.

“I was really happy and surprised because I didn’t expect to win anything since it was my first time participating in a piano competition,” De Dios said.

To apply for the scholarship, students from 6th to 10th grade were asked to turn in an application and audition with any instrument or singing by Feb. 9. For the past 75 years, hundreds of students have entered and received PTSA scholarships for private music lessons.

For her audition, De Dios played the piano for a chance to win $300 for any private lesson of her choice. Out of numerous other talented student musicians, De Dios was awarded an honorable mention.

“Even though I didn’t win, I still felt proud because I mostly play the guitar and piano isn’t what I always focus on,” De Dios said.

De Dios not only plays the piano, she also plays acoustic guitar, ukulele and does a little singing. De Dios is always striving to become a better musician and singer through continuous hard work and perseverance.

“I was proud of her, I wasn’t surprised she would win,” music teacher Wes Hambright said. “It was a given, I was really happy for her and I’m super proud of her.”