College Corner: Alternatives to the Cal Grant

Fastweb.com is just one of the many scholarship websites available as an alternative for students who do not qualify for the Cal Grant.

Screenshot from Fastweb.com

Samantha Freyre

Due to not meeting the Cal Grant qualifications, many students are tasked with the burden of having to look for other sources of money. Here is a list of alternatives that students can look into to provide them with additional money for college.

California College Promise Grant –  California College Promise Grant is available to those who are attending community colleges. This grant waives the per-unit enrollment fee and the qualifications include being enrolled in a community college and having financial need.

Federal Grants – Federal grants give students money that does not need to be paid back. These grants include Pell Grants, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants or Chafee Grants, but each grant contains a limited amount of money so it is recommended that students apply early.

Scholarships – There are various scholarships that students can apply for on their own. For example, students who are left-handed can apply for left-handed scholarships or students who do well in school can apply for academic scholarships. Scholarships come in every shape and size and it is important to do research to uncover them.

Student Loans – Student loans are loans given by the Federal Direct Student Loans Program, a program that gives money to students to pay for their college. However, student loans are expected to be paid back in a certain period of time. Students are typically more hesitant when taking out student loans because it may cause them to accumulate some debt as they make progress in paying the loans off.

Work Study – Some colleges offer work study programs, which give their students part-time jobs on campus while attending their classes. Some jobs can include being an assistant in a lab or working in a library. Work study assists students in paying off their student debt along with creating a sense of responsibility among them.