• October 7Senior portraits will be taken on Saturday Oct. 20

• October 6California Student Mock Election is Tuesday Oct. 9

• October 6PSAT for all 10th graders & some 11th graders on Oct. 10

AP Calculus workshop equals more success

Students listen to a guest speaker during an AP Calculus workshop at UCLA on Jan. 20.

Karina Mara

Karina Mara

Mirabelle Chernick

Held one Saturday per month at the University of California, Los Angeles, the Advanced Placement (AP) Readiness Workshop aspires to support and guide students in their quest to navigate college-level courses. At the same time, the program also aims to enhance the teaching skills and abilities of AP teachers.  

“(Center X’s) mission is to help improve education in LA through structured workshops designed specifically to help students based on data they’ve collected in the past on what makes students successful on AP test,” AP Calculus teacher Leslie Hicks said.

This is the first year Daniel Pearl Magnet High School students will have the opportunity to be a part of these workshops. Students are encouraged to attend in order to get their still pending questions answered while simultaneously practicing their calculus skills in a manner that is specifically designed for student success.

“(The workshop) teaches you a lot tricks for how to pass the test and it gave me an idea for what I need to do in order to get that 5,” senior Zandro Mara said.  

In addition to developing AP student’s math abilities, Center X’s program prioritizes the forging of student relationships based on their shared experience of participating in such a challenging and demanding course.

“I would like them to see that there are lots of other students studying calculus in the district and they all have questions that are really similar to my student’s questions,” Hicks said.

Following the appropriated 9 AM to 1 PM session for students, teachers convene for an additional hour to partake in a workshop intended to explore new and different teaching styles as well as tips for how to effectively cultivate interest among students.

“I’m hoping to take away new techniques and new suggestions for how I can introduce a topic or how I can review topics,” Hicks said.

Mirabelle Chernick, Staff Writer
Mirabelle Chernick is a first-year staff writer for the Pearl Post. In addition to journalism, she is fascinated by politics on both the global and local scale, philosophy, creative writing, and student civic engagement. In her free time, Mirabelle can be found gawking over the brilliance of the latest episode of “House of Cards,” reading...
Karina Mara, Copy Editor
Karina Mara is a Design Editor for The Prestige Yearbook. Karina is looking forward to creating a masterpiece with her fellow yearbook staff members Zachary Gephart-Canada, Alyssa Cancio, Cj Gorospe and Christine Valenzuela. Karina enjoys spending time on the internet and watching random, cool videos on Youtube, especially tennis videos because she loves tennis. She...