NHS Club: Recognizing an honorable society

Melissa Hernandez

Karina Mara
Junior Astrid Cabrera leads the first National Honors Society Club meeting with club sponsor Leah Pevar in Room 15.

As the National Honor Society (NHS) Club meeting begins, president of the club Astrid Cabrera starts by discussing potential volunteer opportunities members can participate in.

The NHS Club gives students the opportunity to give back to their communities and gain new skills for their high school and college careers.

Cabrera began the club to allow students with similar objectives of prospering in their academics to work together and receive the support they need to achieve their goals.

“While attending DPMHS, I noticed that not many clubs interested me and none were based off of students hopes and beliefs,” Cabrera said. “Therefore, I jumped to the process of creating this club in order to create a place where students with the same ambition and dedication would gather and share ideas.”

The NHS presents students with an opportunity to step further in their academic career and prep for college. Students can work to develop and strengthen traits, such as leadership, that helps prepare them for their futures.

The NHS Club also provides scholarships to members for their honor and integrity. The scholarships provided by NHS are awarded

to the student member that stands out the most by keeping up with their standard obligations to their memberships.

Students with a 3.5 GPA were encouraged to apply for the NHS club. The first meeting was held on Oct. 20 and future meetings are to be held once a month in Room 15.

“It’s just one way for students who are already doing great things to be kind of formally recognized for their effort and their time both here at this school and when they go on to college,” club sponsor Leah Pevar said.