Things to consider when applying to community colleges

Irene Feher, New Media Editor

Community colleges such as Pierce Community College is known to have a cheap tuition for their students but everything good comes with a catch
creativecommons.org

There are many advantages and disadvantages of going into community college instead of going to a four-year college. These are just a few that will help determine the perks and disadvantages of going to community college:

PROS

Tuition

Tuition is for community colleges is about $1,400 per year, saving students $4,000 to $12,000.

Flexible schedule

Community colleges offer students the general courses they need while being able to explore other interests on a schedule that works for them. These colleges have more schedule options.

Smaller classes

Since the tuition is so reasonable, the class size is surprising to most students. By being in a smaller class, professors have the chance to learn more about their students and students will find their teacher more accessible.

CONS

Lighter workload

The workload is lighter compared to a state university or a private college. There is sometimes very little coursework other than the major exams.

Uninvolved students

Probably the biggest disadvantage of community colleges is that many of the students are uninvolved. Few have plans for an academic future outside of what they receive at a community college.

Also, many of them are occupied with work, causing tension within the classroom.

Transferring

Many courses that are taught at a community college aren’t accepted by a four year university, affecting the credit towards your bachelor degree. Only one in five students transfer to a four-year university after graduating.

Difficulty of obtaining classes

Since some classes don’t have transferrable credits and don’t offer as much of a variety as four-year universities do, acquiring the classes you need in a community college may be difficult.