College Corner: The tassel was worth the hassle

Alumni Enrie Amezcua is a Pierce College student majoring in journalism and alumni Carlos Godoy is a student at California State University Northridge majoring in graphic design.

Jake Dobbs

Enrie Amezcua and Carlos Godoy

Enrie Amezcua:

English teaches you to read, write and join words into a sentence. Journalism teaches you to use this skill in the field.

Whether in yearbook or newspaper, you learn a thing or two about how to approach some obstacles in your life.

One of the most important skills is triple checking spelling errors or capitalizing names.

College students with just basic English skills would know how to write an essay.

A college student with journalism would know how to interview, ask fulfilling questions, which comes in handy when meeting new people.

Student journalists also have to handle interviewing new people, allowing them to get out of their comfort zones by treating any person with respect to show that you know what you’re doing.

When classes ask you to review your work, you’ll know how to do it since you do the same with interviews in newspaper.

Journalists also learn to be up-to-date with worldly and local news in order to know what to do when someone gets the wrong information.

For journalists it is their job to inform the public of the most accurate news.

Carlos Godoy:

Students frequently ask “will we ever use this in our lives?” when exposed to difficult or unusual material. It is most definitely a very inane thing to say because every class, including an elective such as newspaper, can help one to be successful in college.

Communication, both verbal and written, is fundamental in any journalism class. Here is where one meets very important people, other students plus faculty and staff. In college, all classes involve some form of communication and one has to know how to do it correctly.

Thanks to the five W’s and H, I know how to synthesize my ideas and be able to speak effectively with my professors and colleagues.

Being an editor for The Pearl Post for nearly three years helped me view other people’s work more critically.

This has been vital in my English classes since we workshop other students’ papers to help them achieve a better final draft.

I have since also learned to deal with the weekly deadlines in my classes like the ones I had to newspaper. As a result, I now know how to cope better with the stress of having quick due dates.