Changes in coaches causes agitation, instability in cross country runners

Aileen Kangavary

Cross Country team members show their smiles even though season is not going the way they planeed. From left to right, Senior Vanessa Barajas, sophomore John Ford, Freshman Jadesola Ajileye, Sophomore Juliette Tafoya, Sophomore Micalya Rendon and Senior Beatriz Castro.
Jordan Timsit
Cross Country team members show their smiles even though season is not going the way they planned.  From left to right, top row Senior Vanessa Barajas, sophomore John Ford, Freshman Jadesola Ajileye, bottom row Senior Beatriz Castro, Sophomore Micalya Rendon and  Sophomore Juliette Tafoya.

As cool fall weeks roll by, the Birmingham Community Charter High School cross country varsity runners play faulty meets as  their season progresses.

“The changes in how the runners are being coached  has cost the varsity team valuable meets as the freshman-sophomore team compete for the city championship trophy,” senior Vanessa Barajas said.

Last spring, Coach Scott King retired due to conflicts at work.  Not only that but along with Coach King, the cross country team lost two other assistant coaches.

“It is a shame that Coach King retired.  He was one of the big names in cross country,” fro-soph player  John Ford said. “His absence is affecting our team from getting what we want.”

Sophomores in varsity are getting bumped down to fro-soph for a better chance for the fro-soph team of winning the city championship.  Head Coach Jose Torres has focused on strengthening fro-soph team rather than preparing varsity for improving their ranking.

In the varsity meet against El Camino Real Charter High School, the score was 33-27.  Their loss originates from their loss of sophomore varsity runners.

“The reason why varsity isn’t successful this season is due to the new coaching,”   Barajas said.