‘I can’t remember a more anticipated season’

Senior Alan Ruiz looks forward to the Los Angeles Dodgers’ 2024 regular season.
Provided by Alan Ruiz
Senior Alan Ruiz stands on the field of Dodger Stadium after the Los Angeles Dodgers played against the Chicago Cubs on April 16, 2023.

During my time as a Dodger fan, I can’t remember a more anticipated season. After a disappointing loss to the Arizona Diamondbacks in the 2023 National League Division Series, my biggest hope was that the team would return for the 2024 season with a bolstered roster tailored to dominate in the postseason.  

Like a breath of fresh air, improving the team is exactly what the Dodgers’ front office executives did. Two of the team’s biggest weaknesses in the postseason – hitting with runners in scoring position and a reliable starting pitching rotation – were boldly addressed this offseason. Headlining the team’s transactions was the record-breaking 10-year, $700 million deal with two-way superstar Shohei Ohtani, one of my all-time favorite players. 

Ohtani is a two-time recipient of the American League Most Valuable Player award who has made a living in the big leagues as both a top-end hitter and pitcher, and he is a great inspiration to all young aspiring players. His addition to the Dodgers’ lineup forms an awe-inspiring trio of hitters that includes shortstop Mookie Betts and first baseman Freddie Freeman. 

This week, the Dodgers rolled out their fearsome lineup against the San Diego Padres in a two-game series set in Seoul, South Korea. The Dodgers split the series with the Padres, winning the first game 5-2 but dropping the second game 15-11. The team has until next Thursday before playing their next official game, but one strength has already been made evident: their lineup. 

After a riveting eighth-inning comeback in the first game and an impressive power display in the second, few fans, baseball executives, or critics will doubt the powerful potential of this team. If there is one area of doubt, it is surrounding the starting pitching rotation. Although starting pitcher Tyler Glasnow allowed only two runs in his Opening Day start, he has never pitched more than 120 innings in a season due to injuries. Further, Japanese pitcher Yoshinobu Yamamoto, who signed a 12-year, $325 million contract with the Dodgers, struggled in his Major League debut, raising concern over how well and how quickly he will adjust to facing the talent level of hitters in Major League Baseball. 

Despite the question marks, I have complete faith in this team. With such additions as Ohtani and Yamamoto, it is clear they do not have an early postseason exit in their plans. I am confident that all concerns will be ironed out as the season continues, and I will be eagerly watching to witness that progression.

Official Opening Day for all 30 teams is on March 28 with the Dodgers set to face off against the St. Louis Cardinals at Dodger Stadium. This season will be unlike any other in recent memory. The hype will be heightened. The pressure will be compounded. The expectations will be intensified. And I can’t wait!