Drill team brings spirit to DPMHS

Adi Nagary

Despite not having its own sports team, Daniel Pearl Magnet High School has an excited and determined drill team.

“They’re talented, and work very hard through their obstacles.” senior and captain Jazmine Brenes said, referring to her team.

Brenes started the drill team in September 2013. She noticed a lack of dance at the school and asked if she could start her own drill team.

Members of the drill team peform their routine in the Grove for a captive audience on the May 16 Fiesta Friday. Photo by Jake Dobbs.

The team slowly grew from only Brenes to around seven members and the drill team now has practice at least twice every week and occasionally performs at Fiesta Fridays.

As coach of the drill team, Brenes has a tight schedule. She has to organize all of the events for the team; create fundraisers for some necessities; and most importantly, choreographs all of the moves and teaches it to the rest of the team.

Their latest performance was during Fiesta Friday on May 16. As the music started playing, students slowly started gathering around the Grove’s center and enjoying the drill team’s routine for which they had been practicing for around six months.

Practices for the team can often be grueling. In addition to the pure physicality of the practice, members sometimes cannot attend, including the coach. In that event, either  the second-in-command, freshman Francesca Liebenthal or, freshman Genesis Ocampo take control.

Both Liebenthal and Ocampo are on the ballot for captain and co-captain of the drill team next school year.

Despite all of this, there is a sense of family and camaraderie among the team members

“I treat them like sisters,” Brenes said.