• April 20Senior/Junior Prom on Saturday, April 27 from 6 - 10 p.m. at CSUN’s Orchard Conference Room
  • April 20Movie Night on Friday, April 26 at 5 p.m.
  • April 20No school on Wednesday, April 24 for Armenian Genocide Observance Day
  • April 20Spring Serenade Festival on Tuesday, April 23 at 7 p.m. in the Grove
  • April 20Denim Day will be observed on Tuesday, April 23
  • April 12SBAC Testing from Monday, April 22 to Monday, April 29

Athlete of the Month: Chajan soaks up success in water polo

Emma Rosenberg
Senior Brisa Chajan swims laps at Birmingham Community Charter High School swim practice on Nov. 29. She is captain of the water polo team.

Two student athletes, one from a girls team and the other from a boys team, are acknowledged for dedication to their sport once a month. This month, we recognize senior Brisa Chajan.

Chajan has been playing water polo for many years now. She’s been playing on the Birmingham Community Charter High School girls water polo team and has even become captain as recognition for her dedication and committed hard work.

Q: What inspired you to pursue water polo as a sport?

A: What inspired me to pursue water polo as a sport would be my brother because he used to play water polo before me and encouraged me to also play water polo.

Q: What do you consider to be your most significant individual achievement in water polo so far?

A: My most significant achievement would be becoming water polo captain.

Q: How do you handle pressure during important matches?

A: I try to stay focused on the game and not let the pressure get to me. I take deep breaths and remind myself of all the hard work and training I have put in leading up to the game. I also try to stay positive and trust in my abilities and the abilities of my teammates. It’s important to stay calm and composed and not let the pressure affect my decision-making or performance in the game.

Q: What has been your most memorable moment or game in your water polo career?

A: The most memorable moment would be making it to state championships. Although we lost, it was a major accomplishment. My team and I put in lots of hard work and dedication. The fact that we were able to make it that far is something we can be proud of. There were many challenges along the way, but it was great that we were able to overcome them and make it to such a high level of competition.

Q: Will you be pursuing the sport beyond high school?

A: I am absolutely going to pursue my sport beyond high school and I want to be able to get a scholarship for it. I have put a lot of hard work and dedication into my sport and I am excited to see where it takes me in the future.

Q: What lessons have you learned through your journey in water polo that you would like to share with others?

A: One of the most important lessons is the importance of teamwork. In water polo, success is not achieved by individual efforts but the collective efforts of the team. This has taught me the value of collaboration, communication and trust in achieving a common goal. Another lesson I learned is the importance of perseverance. Water polo is a physically and mentally demanding sport that requires a lot of hard work and dedication. There were times when I felt like giving up but I learned to push through the challenges and keep going. This has taught me the value of persistence and determination in achieving success. I have also learned the importance of sportsmanship. In water polo, there are winners and losers. It’s important to be gracious in both victory and defeat and to always show respect for your opponents. This has taught me the value of respect and integrity.