Print Editor-in-Chief Brumer announced as runner-up National Journalist of the Year

Adriana Chavira

Print Editor-in-Chief Delilah Brumer was named a runner-up for national Journalism Education Association (JEA) 2023 Journalist of the Year at the spring JEA/NSPA National High School Journalism in San Francisco on April 22.

After becoming the first in southern California to win state-level Journalist of the Year, Print Editor-in-Chief Delilah Brumer was named a runner-up for national Journalism Education Association (JEA) 2023 Journalist of the Year (JOY).

“Winning this runner-up award was so incredible and very gratifying,” Brumer said. “It felt like the censorship fight and everything we have gone through this past year (was) lifted off my shoulders. I’m proud of me. I’m proud of Ms. Chavira. I’m proud of the whole staff.”

During the opening ceremony of the spring JEA/NSPA National High School Journalism Convention in San Francisco on April 20, Brumer was announced as one of the five finalists out of 35 state candidates for this year’s JOY. Two days later on April 22, she was honored as a runner-up to Grace Hamilton of The American School in London, who is the first Journalist of the Year from an international school. Brumer received a $1,000 scholarship named after former JEA treasurer Sister Rita Jean Abicht, along with a personalized award plaque.

“The (opening) award ceremony was almost two hours,” Brumer said. “I was just sitting there and everything was a blur. I could not pay attention to anything. It was almost like it hadn’t happened. And then when they announced my name, it was amazing.”

Brumer started her journalistic journey in her freshman year when she initially had no interest in journalism at all. However, it was during that same year that she discovered her passion for journalism. Over the course of high school, Brumer has spent time sharpening her skills in multiple fields of journalism through summer journalism workshops and convention workshops. Art Director Gabrielle Lashley, who has been friends with Brumer since her sophomore year, has witnessed and supported Brumer’s growth as a journalist.

“I can’t help but be proud of her,” Lashley said. “She’s accomplished so much. I’m honestly so happy that I’ve gotten to see this growth because I’ve been with her on The Pearl Post staff for the longest out of everyone. I think we’ve both been through all of it.”

This award isn’t just for me. It’s for everyone at The Pearl Post.

— Delilah Brumer

Each contestant for JOY creates a website portfolio that includes examples of their own journalistic work in different categories, a personal narrative, a resume and more. Contestants first compete at the state-level where each state selects its own JOY. Then, state JOYs move on to compete nationally. Brumer began working on her portfolio in the spring semester of her junior year and spent about two weeks finalizing it for nationals with JEA California State Director Mitch Ziegler. She has won 49 local, state and national journalism awards and had over 85 articles published for The Pearl Post, Los Angeles Times, Los Angeles Times High School Insider and Los Angeles Daily News, among others.

“I’m grateful for Ms. Chavira and the whole staff,” Brumer said. “I couldn’t have even imagined getting this far without them. This award isn’t just for me. It’s for everyone at The Pearl Post.”