• February 45-week grades will be sent home Feb. 15

• February 4Parent workshop will be on Feb. 27 @8:15 a.m.

• January 24Senior panorama picture will be taken Wednesday, Jan. 30

Teachers from West Valley area rally at local district offices

Steven Guzman, Maria Ruiz, and Martin Garcia

Itzel Luna and Casey Wanatick

Teachers from all across the Northwest district flooded the streets and marched together in demand to be heard while holding signs and blasting music as the third day of the historical teacher strike raged on.

“I have a cousin in the first grade right now and I think I have to lend my voice and do my part for his education,” senior Andres Perkins said. “In the future, I want to be a teacher so I came to support.”

Teachers and students alike rallied across Balboa Boulevard from 10:30 A.M. to 12:30 P.M., blocking off the street where the Northwest district offices and Daniel Pearl Magnet High School (DPMHS) are located. Multiple police officers were on sight monitoring the rally.

“We are standing by to make sure that everything stays peaceful and that (the teachers) have the opportunity to exercise their free speech,” Police Sergeant Gerald Case said. “We have enough people to deploy to the strike as necessary.”

As teachers marched down Balboa Boulevard, Principal Deb Smith and Plant Manager Sal Rivas closed the entrance gate to the parking lot of DPMHS. According to Rivas, the gate was closed to ensure no one would use the parking lot but students still had access to the campus.

Teachers, students and parents that attended the rally picketed on Victory Boulevard and Vanowen Street, encouraging cars driving by to honk in support. During the rally, Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) Board Member Scott Schmerelson voiced his support for the United Teachers Los Angeles union.

“I’m a teacher myself and I cannot stand by and let people be abused,” Schmerelson said. “Teachers are being abused, so are kids and so are their parents, it’s not fair.”

Many teachers are frustrated by the lack of effort LAUSD has put into negotiating. As of now, neither side has proposed a deal since the strike started.

“The district needs to come back and say ‘we are ready to give you more of your needs’ because (it’s) really about needs, not about frivolous things,” music teacher Wes Hambright said. “I think the union is waiting for the district to get back to them and say ‘let’s talk about this again’ rather than each side blaming the other.”

Tomorrow, teachers are expected to picket outside their schools in the morning and afternoon. There will also be a neighborhood-based parent and community meeting within each school or neighborhood after morning picketing.

Itzel Luna, Staff Writer

Itzel Luna is a first year staff writer on Daniel Pearl Magnet High School’s newspaper. She hopes to better her writing  and photography skills. When...

Casey Wanatick, Staff Writer

Casey Wanatick is a staff writer for The Pearl Post. It is his first year on staff. In his free time, he enjoys playing basketball, video games like NBA...

Steven Guzman, New Media Editor-in-Chief

Steven Guzman is the New Media Editor-in-Chief for The Pearl Post. This is his third and final year on staff. He enjoys spending time with his friends...

Maria Ruiz, New Media Editor

Maria Ruiz is the New Media Editor for The Pearl Post. In her free time you can find her reading and catching up with her friends. She enjoys listening...

Martin Garcia, Staff Writer

Martin Garcia is a sophomore staff writer for The Pearl Post. Nobody prays for him. Not even Sundays for him? Yes. What are oompa loompas? I hate it when...

Mahali Sanchez, Staff Writer

Mahali Sanchez is a church girl who likes going to school to reach her goal and attend UCLA where she plans to become a pediatrician. This is her first...

Julissa Rangel, Entertainment Editor

Julissa Rangel is The Pearl Post’s Entertainment Editor for the 2018-19 school year. This is her second consecutive year on staff. Outside of school,...

David Eskichyan, Features Editor

David Eskichyan is the Features Editor of The Pearl Post. This is his second year on staff, his first being last year when he was a staff writer. Eskichyan...

Alliana Samonte, Staff Writer

Alliana-Faith Samonte is a staff writer for The Pearl Post. This is her first year joining and she hopes to improve her social skills and writing techniques....