Girls lacrosse team signs social media responsibility waivers

Veronica Godoy

Senior Ana Perez, a fellow lacrosse player from Birmingham Community Charter High School, and sophomore April Serrano practice on the field.

Jose Herrera and Kyrah Hunter

Every day millions of pictures, messages and conversations are being shared and posted online through social media by students but not all the conversations going on are friendly.

Birmingham Community Charter High School (BCCHS) has recently implemented an extension to one of their policies regarding how athletes use social media.  So, far it has only affected the girls lacrosse team but may soon be among other sports teams.

Senior Ana Perez holds her stance as she watches the ball.
Veronica Godoy

The policy states that student-athletes will not participate in any hazing events and will report any knowledge of such incidents to the coach of the sport.  As a result of hazing the student will face suspension, being kicked off the team or even expulsion depending on the severity. 

“ Post responsibly and there is no problem,” athletic director Rick Prizant said.   

Coach Scott Silva who coaches girls lacrosse came up with the idea after seeing the social media waiver from Simi Valley High School which has implemented the same policy to all of their sports teams.

The waiver includes rules such as not posting threatening things that go against BCCHS, not engaging in negative discussions, not posting emails, addresses or, phone numbers of any other person besides the player.   

“Freedom of speech. People should be allowed to voice their opinions,” freshman Meghann Blake said. “Even if it’s negative.”

Sophomore April Serrano perfects her catching skills during drills.
Veronica Godoy

In school, students aren’t given full access to freedom of speech, meaning they’re are some regulations on how and what a student can say, especially for athletes who are constantly being searched or watched by scouts and colleges. 

“Within reason, I think that  even a college can condition a person participating in sports  based on what they are posting on their social media accounts,” said Peter Scheer, executive director of the First Amendment Coalition. “You couldn’t have a rule saying that students couldn’t use  social media or publicly criticize their school or their team, or their coach on their social media accounts.  That would be going too far.  That wouldn’t permissible.”

While others are fine with how the policy affects them.

“We all care for our sport, the amount of effort we put into our sports is the same so to be criticizing others or insulting their sports is not right,” senior Ana Perez said. “Keep your comments to yourself if it’s rude.”