Hear My Voice helps students be heard in a creative way

Emon Abdullah

Photo by Rusel Ramirez Hear my Voice was an event created by the Daniel Pearl Magnet’s Be More Heroic team in an effort to let students voices be heard through song, poem and much more. Here is senior Kevin Rodriguez playing his guitar.

Daniel Pearl Magnet High School’s (DPMHS) emphasis on a bully-free campus has been taken even further with the partnership of the Be More Heroic non-profit group. Side by side, they have planned several upcoming events and activities, the first being the Hear My Voice Open Mic Night on May 2.

The efforts of the DPMHS Be More Heroic team  earned them a Human Relations Award from the Los Angeles Unified School District Commission of Human Relations. They will receive it on May 28.

“I think there is something very special about this school and I’m honored to be apart of it,” said Justin Chase, co-founder of Be More Heroic.

Be More Heroic is an organization committed to stopping bullying. They have not only helped kids around the nation to stand up against bullying, but have also helped DPMHS students express their artistic talents on stage.

Hear My Voice open mic night consisted of a series of poems, speeches and songs all in the spirit of bullying prevention.

“To me, Be More Heroic is an initiative taken on by students to reduce the problem of bullying,” said junior Jasper Harris, who organized the event. “It’s an issue that needs to have more attention put on it.

The event allowed many to see their peers in a way never seen before. Whether this event becomes an annual occurrence, or a one-time event, it definitely gave many students an insight on bullying.

“Hear My Voice was really fun and really made me think about the people around me and what I could be doing to help others,” said junior Jade Bell.

The groups’s next project is creating a public service announcement to educate the community about the effects of bullying. They’re hoping to use the money raised at their Hear My Voice night to buy props and produce a video.