Enchanting Senior-Junior Prom to bring ‘magic and fun’

Seniors+Geraldine+Suniga%2C+Lauren+Mills+and+Nadia+Montiel+excitedly+greet+friends+while+checking+into+Junior%2FSenior+Prom+on+May+20%2C+2022.+

Delilah Brumer

Seniors Geraldine Suniga, Lauren Mills and Nadia Montiel excitedly greet friends while checking into Junior/Senior Prom on May 20, 2022.

With the school year drawing to a close, the Senior-Junior Prom longs to leave its whimsical mark in the memories of its attendees. 

“I hope that (prom) is going to be one that’s unforgettable,” senior Kennedy Fayton Guzman said. 

This year’s Senior-Junior Prom will be held at the Tarzana Cultural Center from 5-10 p.m. on May 19. The theme of is “Enchanted Forest,” which allows students to dress up in whimsical outfits, in clothing that could resemble cottagecore or fairy aesthetics. Both seniors and juniors are able to attend as long as they paid the ticket cost of $125 by May 12. Overall, 47 tickets were sold for the prom. 

“I think the theme is nice,” said junior Anthony Jimenez, one of the prom attendees. “The decorations are good. It’s a nice-looking place.” 

The reason for this year’s prom theme was a desire for something more open-ended than the 1920s dress theme of the previous year. Students are encouraged to experiment with it and are not required to follow it if they do not want to. 

Organizing prom is a joint effort between the Associated Student Body (ASB) and the Leadership class in a process that took the whole academic year. Funds this year allowed for a DJ and a photo booth to be purchased for the dance. The most important goal of the organizers is to make sure that students have fun and enjoy themselves. 

“ASB put a lot of hard work and effort into prom this year,” ASB President Angela Ledesma said. “I feel that prom is something people should look forward to as a night of magic and fun.”