Musicians prepare to hit every note ahead of winter concert

Keira Van Der Molen

Parents and students will enjoy an array of musical performances during the “Nightmare Before the Holidays” winter concert, taking place tomorrow at 7 p.m.

“I’m just looking forward to seeing the show come together,” music teacher Wes Hambright said. “We’ve had a lot of challenges of putting the show together because of people’s schedules. So we’re really just looking forward to getting the show up and running.” 

Since the concert is being held after school with no other performances occurring during the school day, a portion of students may not have the opportunity to watch the concert. But that doesn’t stop student musicians from being eager to perform and display their talent.

“Performing music is very important to me,” said sophomore Jo Sanders, who plays the piano and sings. 

Sanders, who will play “Sweater Weather,” “Dreidel” and “The Hat,” says that she loves to perform in front of large crowds. She considers it fun and to her, playing any type of music in any way is very enjoyable.

Hambright says that the majority of the music that will be played during the concert will be holiday music or just any music that fits in with the festive concept they have in mind.

“We’ve added pop songs in there that aren’t necessarily holiday music,” Hambright said. “But it fits in with our theme of the ‘Nightmare Before the Holidays’.”

Images from “The Nightmare Before Christmas” will also be projected around the MPR as part of decorations for the winter concert. 

“We have a lot of great musicians in this school and they really wanted to do this,” Hambright said. “So, I think it’s important to keep them playing live and to do something fun right before the holidays.”