Editorial: Dear Mr. Carvalho: Hear us out

Rikka Dimalanta

As the new superintendent of Los Angeles Unified School District, Alberto Carvalho has a responsibility to listen to student input. We hope that, as he gets adjusted to his position, Carvalho will respect student press freedom, work with the teachers union and prioritize COVID-19 safety by maintaining district pandemic protocols.

Newly appointed superintendent of Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) Alberto Carvalho has already assembled a 100-Day Plan for schools’ academic and social improvement. Student journalism, COVID-19 safety and connections with students and teachers should unquestionably be a part of this plan and for the entirety of his time in LAUSD. 

Respecting and encouraging student journalism is crucial to those who strive to professionally report in the future. Daniel Pearl Magnet High School is dedicated to studying and practicing journalism. For us, respecting student press freedom is essential. In general, students as a whole deserve their diverse voices to be valued. 

COVID-19 affected academic and social conditions throughout all LAUSD schools during quarantine and continued after students returned to on-campus learning. Health safety is critical right now, which means that we need to continue following guidelines that prevent exposure and spread. This matter cannot be taken lightly and health and the well-being of people should be carefully thought about. A week after Carvalho was officially appointed as superintendent, the mask mandate was modified, making it optional for students and staff to not wear masks in outdoor settings on campus. As superintendent, he is responsible for not only student and staff safety, but their families too. If students are exposed to COVID-19 from school connections, they are in danger of exposing their families, which is why we need to maintain solid regulations, such as wearing face masks and weekly COVID-19 testing. 

Communicating with teachers and acknowledging their views is ideal. Teachers are the reason why schools even operate, so their voices are immensely significant. Carvalho must work with United Teachers Los Angeles (UTLA) without hostility, to truly understand educators and what they have to say. 

In order to lead a respectful and successful district, Carvalho must care for his community. Carvalho’s plan targets the tasks: learn, assess, communicate and act. In hopes that these goals will be met, Carvalho claims that the district’s academic opportunities will expand. This is his time to show us what our schools deserve and are capable of accomplishing.