• February 23Fiesta Friday during lunch in the Grove on Friday, Mar. 1
  • February 23Parent Teacher Conferences (virtual or telephone) on Feb. 28 and 29
  • February 23In-Person Parent Teacher Conferences from 4 to 6 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 27
  • February 16Kadima Conservatory of Music will perform during periods 2 and 3 on Wednesday, Feb. 21
  • February 15No school on Monday, Feb. 19 for Presidents’ Day
  • February 9In the Heart of Winter School Dance at 6 p.m. in the MPR on Friday, Feb. 16

Editorial: Mental health support during finals season is what we need most

Kristin Intal
During finals season, students’ schedules are filled with exams, studying and projects. Without proper mental health support, many students will be overwhelmed.

As finals approach, students prepare for the exams and projects of numerous subjects. These last assignments of the semester often make or break students’ grades, leaving many stressed and overworked. Fatigue that has built up since the beginning of the school year is keeping some students burnt out. During this period of tension, more accommodation should be provided to students through the use of counselors.

Without both academic and mental health counselors, students will struggle to manage their classes. The change to a six-period schedule has left students needing to adjust to more assignments from the increase in classes in a day. Many seniors may find it hard to prepare for college applications with finals nearing. Students who have extracurricular activities or work outside of school may struggle to keep up with classes. Finals season will become a time of academic stress and fear.

Since failing to achieve goals can be a source of stress during finals week, counselors are crucial for ensuring that students set realistic and attainable goals for themselves. Students need access to both academic and social-emotional guidance from counselors. However, school psychologist Eliana Lichtman’s schedule has been reduced from three days a week to one, leaving most students to rely on psychiatric social worker Joanne Tuell for mental support for only three days a week.

The district should fund schools to make mental health professionals more easily accessible to students. The school can then hire more counselors or extend the school psychologist’s schedule. By ensuring that students have active support from counselors, fewer students will find themselves worn out this finals season.