Seniors worry about potential cancellation of important events during school closure

Emiliano Cruz

Senior Emiliano Cruz works on the packet students were assigned from each one of their classes prior to the closure of schools.

As Los Angeles Unified School District extends its school closure until at least May 1, seniors like Alyanna Ahorro worry that the senior events they’ve eagerly anticipated, such as prom, grad night and graduation won’t happen at all.

“I’m scared and sad that I won’t be able to experience my last high school moments with my fellow seniors; I feel as though I grew up with my graduating class in some way, and I can’t imagine what they’re feeling right now,” Ahorro said. “It’s been rough lately thinking about the possibility of that outcome, but I’m trying to keep my hopes up, since I know the Class of 2020 is filled with the most resilient people.”

For most classes, the final year of high school marks a milestone as students transition to the next chapter of their life. But the class of 2020’s final semester will likely be confined to a computer screen.

In response to the rapid spread of the (COVID-19) virus, Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) has announced they will suspend in-person classes until May 1, as board members continue discussions on how to move forward concerning the virus.

“My first reaction to hearing about COVID-19 being a pandemic was that it was crazy that it was getting to this point,” senior Brenda de Dios said. “I didn’t think it would affect me personally, especially my social and school life.”

Gov. Gavin Newsom has also spoken of a possibility that all California schools remain closed for the duration of the school year.

“Don’t anticipate schools are going to open up in a week. Please don’t anticipate in a few weeks,” Newsom said in a press conference held on March 17. “I would plan, and assume, that it’s unlikely that many of these schools — few, if any — will open before the summer break.”

Students recognize that these decisions, as detrimental as they are to their plans, are being made with their health and safety in mind.

“I thought it was being blown out of proportion because it wasn’t extremely serious, but as things have developed it has gotten a lot more scary,” senior Isabelle Marin said. “I hope that school will resume so nobody’s education is compromised. But if school needs to remain closed for the safety of everyone’s health, that isn’t something we can control.”

While the class of 2020 tries to remain hopeful about the way their last few months of high school pan out, they acknowledge the grim reality of Newsom’s proposal could take away the experiences they’ve enthusiastically awaited for so long.

“I honestly hope that this will all blow over soon and things will go back to normal,” senior Emiliano Cruz said. “Not only because I want to participate in senior events, but also because the class of 2020 deserves to have all the traditional high school events, just like the classes that came before us.”