Get ready for finals week with these helpful study tips

Sara Marquez

Junior Ariana Islam studies for finals at the library on Dec. 5.

Valeria Luquin

With finals fast approaching, students share their most helpful tips on making studying for finals a lot easier and less stressful. 

“I start with the hardest class and then go to the easier classes,” senior Emily Nasir said. “I spend at least two hours a day studying. Using notecards, looking back at notes, writing them (questions or notes) over and over until I understand them.”

During finals, many students rush to go over all the notes and material they’ve covered that semester. Some students spend a lot of time studying for all their classes. Others may end up only taking a glance at their notes the night before the exam. 

Everyone has their own way of studying and methods that work for them but there are some strategies that you may have not tried yet. First, studying in advance rather than waiting for the last minute is a good place to start. 

“I usually just go over all of my notes that I’ve taken throughout the semester. I don’t like to cram everything last minute and when I do study, I take breaks frequently,” sophomore Nathalie Miranda said. “Taking breaks often helps me focus when I’m done with my break.”

When studying for finals, try teaching your friends the material you’re studying for as if you were a teacher. By doing this, you can answer questions your friends may have, meaning you’ll think more about the information and will have a better understanding of the material.  

Using flashcards, making a study guide, color coding your notes, quizzing yourself and creating a study schedule are a few more tips. Taking breaks, getting enough sleep and asking your teachers questions are some of 20 tips fastweb provides when it comes time to study for finals.

Once finals week starts, sticking to a schedule can help you manage your time wisely when studying for the other subjects you are being tested on. If your teachers gave you a study guide, going over the material on there can be helpful as well. 

“I start off with flashcards. I also kind of put myself on a strict limit with screens,” sophomore Benjamin Bryan said. “The rest of the days, I’ll cut myself down to different subjects depending on how hard and how much I need to study for that subject.”