• April 8National Day of Silence Friday, April 12

• April 8WASC visit Monday, April 7-10

• April 8Spring break Monday, April 15-19

Teachers rally at California Charter Schools Association on second day of strike

Back to Article
Back to Article

Math teacher Lori Seo proudly holds up a picket sign during the second day of the teacher strike on Jan. 15.

Itzel Luna

Itzel Luna

Itzel Luna

Casey Wanatick

Thirty thousand teachers from the Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) picketed again today as the district has not reached a deal with the United Teachers Los Angeles (UTLA) union.

According to Jennifer Walker, resource teacher and chairman of UTLA for Daniel Pearl Magnet High School (DPMHS), there were no contract negotiations between UTLA and LAUSD on the first day of the strike. Currently, UTLA is restarting negotiations with LAUSD with the help of Mayor Eric Garcetti. Nonetheless, teachers rallied in front of the California Charter Schools Association to protest “the runaway problem of unregulated corporate charter schools,” as stated on the UTLA website.

Both LAUSD and UTLA have previously discussed UTLA’s demands for a teacher salary increase, class size reductions, a budget for everyday nurses and counselors and the policy regarding charter schools. LAUSD has claimed that the demands will make the district go bankrupt.

Last Friday, district officials offered to spend $130 million on class size reduction after Gov. Gavin Newsom proposed a new $80.7 billion for public education for the 2019-2020 school year but UTLA declined the proposal stating that they want more costly reductions on class size.

As the two sides continue to look for a deal, teachers will continue to strike in hopes of a better contract. Tomorrow, teachers will continue to picket outside of their schools at 7 A.M. From 10:30 A.M. to 12:30 P.M., teachers from various areas within LAUSD will rally at their local district offices. Teachers from the Valley West area will rally at 6621 Balboa Blvd. After, teachers will resume picketing outside of their school.

Casey Wanatick, Staff Writer

Casey Wanatick is a staff writer for The Pearl Post. It is his first year on staff. In his free time, he enjoys playing basketball, video games like NBA 2K and Madden Football, hanging out with friends and just binging on his favorite Netflix shows like “The Office” and “Criminal Minds.” Casey also takes a passion in following politics and enjoys talking about them. Casey joined The Pearl Post because he has a passion for journalism and is confident to take on any task at hand. You can see Casey’s newest work by following him on twitter @cjwanatick

Alliana Samonte, Staff Writer

Alliana-Faith Samonte is a staff writer for The Pearl Post. This is her first year joining and she hopes to improve her social skills and writing techniques....