Q & A with Kaia Greenwood

Sophomore spearheaded the walkout planned for tomorrow at DPMHS.

David Eskichyan

David Eskichyan
Sophomore Kaia Greenwood makes a poster for the #Enough Walkout on March 14.

1. What are your plans for the walkout? What kind of things will students be doing?

“On the day of the walkout, students will be gathering on the front lawn. Once we have passed out the posters and flyers, we will all walk over to the district building next-door. When we get there and as we are walking we will say our chants. Then a couple people will go up in front of everyone and say a few words, just little speeches. I will also say a few short words. Once they are done, we are going to have 17 different people say the names of the 17 different victims. After that, we will have someone finish it off with the a strong closing. Then at the very end after all of this, we are going to take a minute of silence remembrance of all those who lost their lives.”

2. What inspired you to plan this walkout?

“What happened at Stoneman Douglas High School and any of the schools in general where shootings occurred, could’ve happened at Daniel Pearl. I know that our school is not the largest school. It’s not really even that big. There are 350 students. But the fact that we can come together and we can stand in support of these other schools shows that we care about what’s happening. It’s not just their lives at risk. It’s our lives as well because you don’t know if it’ll be your school that’s next. You can’t determine these type of things. But if we speak out now before anything happens to us or any school, in general, we can make it harder for ourselves to become the next target of a ”mass school shooting.” The only way we can make sure this never happens again is by standing together because although we are a part of different communities and schools, we are all fighting for the same goal. To feel safe again in our schools, so that students, staff and teachers don’t have to worry about whether or not this day or that day will be their last. We can accomplish all of this by going to our lawmakers and demanding that they make a change and demanding gun reform, raising the age limit to purchase a gun from 18 to 21 and banning purchase or war weapons to any citizens.”

3. What lesson do you hope students or staff will learn from this walkout?

“The lesson I think they will take away from this is that it is our fight, too. Although it hasn’t happened to us yet, it’s important that we make sure it can never happen to us because of every life matters even if you don’t know the people it happened to.”

4. Do you think that walking out will help regulate gun control laws and get adults to understand that the message you’re trying to spread?

“Yes, because it shows that although we are children, we understand what’s happening and that even we as kids can see how bad the gun laws are and how big of a problem it has turned into. Also it’s children at risk.”

5. What do you think our school in particular should do to prevent us from being the next victims of a school shooting?

“I think we should speak up more and do as much as we can to get our lawmakers to listen to us.”

6. Was this your first time organizing an even like this or have you had any prior experience?

“No this is my first time. I’ve also only been at DPMHS for only a month.”

7. Has anybody helped you plan this or have you been doing this all by yourself?

“Well, there’s a group of people who have been helping me now. But I started the idea.”