• October 7Senior portraits will be taken on Saturday Oct. 20

• October 6California Student Mock Election is Tuesday Oct. 9

• October 6PSAT for all 10th graders & some 11th graders on Oct. 10

Harmful air quality from surrounding wildfires results in school suspension

Powerful wind brought the smoke from surrounding wildfires to the valley, resulting in unhealthy and dangerous air quality. The sky at the intersection of Roscoe and Van Nuys boulevards is orange from wildfires in December 2017.

Nallely DeLara

Nallely DeLara

Kirsten Cintigo and Sergio Payeras

Due to the recent uprising of wildfires, the Los Angeles Unified School District officials announced late this afternoon to the decision to suspend school tomorrow and Friday within the entire San Fernando Valley.

This means more than 250 schools located in local districts Northeast, Northwest and District West will be closed.

The decision was made due to the unhealthy air quality coming from surrounding fires in Sylmar, the Sepulveda Pass and Ventura County. Although, they don’t affect Daniel Pearl Magnet High School directly, they are major problems in those larger areas. Students concerned about the smoky air wore face masks on Tuesday and Wednesday. Other students stayed home on Wednesday.

According to Principal Deb Smith, finals will not be affected by the sudden decision however it is unclear how the two days will be made up for.

This is not the first time LAUSD has had an unexpected closure of schools. Previously on Dec. 15, 2015, all district schools were closed due a bomb threat that had been made against school campuses.

Both Principal Smith and Superintendent of L.A Unified Local District Northwest Joseph Nacorda sent messages to families notifying them of the closure, via JupiterEd.

A full list of the schools closed for the next two days is available on the district website.

Sergio Payeras, Tech Editor
An aspiring writer and poet, the Tech editor of The Pearl post does everything he can to make the tech page attractive and a e s t h e t i c. He likes listening to Boston, The Police and The Raspberries, among other old bands. Though his dream career is in neurosurgery, he still...
Nallely DeLara, Features editor
Nallely DeLara is the features editor for The Pearl Post. This is Nallely’s second year as part of the newspaper staff. In her spare time Nallely can be found reading a book, bonding with her dog or watching Grey’s Anatomy. She enjoys writing but spends her time editing stories and designing the features page. If...
1 Comment

One Response to “Harmful air quality from surrounding wildfires results in school suspension”

1. Deb Smith on December 6th, 2017 9:01 pm

Just to clarify, we do not know if the school calendar will be altered in the spring semester. That decision has not been made by the superintendent yet. Finals will take place next week as scheduled.