• October 17Spirit Week will be from Oct. 29 - Nov. 2

• October 17The Great California ShakeOut drill will be on Oct. 23

• October 7Senior portraits will be taken on Saturday Oct. 20

Daniel Pearl World Music Day makes its 8th annual performance

Steven Guzman

Mirabelle Chernick and Julissa Rangel

Sophomore Emiliano Cruz performing "Star-Spangled Banner at Daniel Pearl World Music Day on Oct. 26.

Junior Cee Jay Posis walks onto the stage and renders the crowd speechless with a native Tagalog song called “Torete” by Moira Dela Torre while simultaneously playing the guitar.

“At first I was very shy, but when I went up to sing I suddenly gained confidence. I got a lot of praise and people told me I had a great voice,” Posis said.

The highly anticipated musical event is sponsored by the Daniel Pearl Foundation and celebrated internationally to pay homage to late journalist Daniel Pearl. It was implemented in October 2002, Pearl’s birth month, and annually aims to encourage world peace and friendship.

As the lights dim, indicating the beginning of the 8th Annual Daniel Pearl World Music Day, senior Dean Khazanov welcomes the audience and requests a moment of silence in honor of the school’s namesake, Daniel Pearl, as well as all of the journalists who’ve lost their lives reporting this past year. Khazanov then went on to summarize the essence of DPWMD through the recognition that, “Music is the world’s universal language” by acknowledging music’s ability to unite all peoples.

Meanwhile, sophomore Emiliano Cruz can be seen tuning his electric guitar in preparation for his solo act of a contemporary rendition of the national anthem. His powerful and booming piece was subsequently met with an applause that rivaled that of his own performance.

As junior Taylor Devlugt sang and Cruz plucked the strings of his electric guitar for the closing song, members of the choir filled the middle aisle of the auditorium, clapping their hands to the beat of Lenny Kravitz’ “Are you gonna go my way.” The audience comprised entirely of students, school administration, parents of performers and even late Pearls’ parents — beamed while clapping along as the two performers enthusiastically brought the show to an end.

Applause and cheers permeated the auditorium as the performers took a bow. Soon after, DPMHS Principal Deb Smith approached the stage to share a few words of wisdom in which she pridefully remarks that she has never been more proud to be a part of such a special community.

“Whatever grade you are, you feel part of the family,” freshman choir member Guinneth Lyons said. “You’ll end up missing the seniors. It’s like a second family.”

Music teacher Wes Hambright was recognized lovingly by students. He was presented with a bouquet of flowers, for which he thanked his students. He went on to thank retired choir teacher Marsha Taylor for her assistance and patience.

The Pearls couldn’t agree more. Father Judea Pearl went up to make closing remarks and looked admiringly into the crowd.

“The speechless tries to speak,” Pearl joked. “I can see Danny dancing and playing his violin with everyone.”  

Mirabelle Chernick, Staff Writer
Mirabelle Chernick is a first-year staff writer for the Pearl Post. In addition to journalism, she is fascinated by politics on both the global and local scale, philosophy, creative writing, and student civic engagement. In her free time, Mirabelle can be found gawking over the brilliance of the latest episode of “House of Cards,” reading...
Julissa Rangel, Entertainment Editor

Julissa Rangel is The Pearl Post’s Entertainment Editor for the 2018-19 school year. This is her second consecutive year on staff. Outside of school, Rangel loves to watch movies, travel, go to concerts and spend time with her friends. Her favorite musical artists are Kali Uchís, Marc Anthony and Rihanna. She hopes to see them all in concert before she turns 20. Besides music, Rangel is incredibly passionate about Marxist theory, the womanist movement and teaching. She’s set on becoming an ESL teacher for elementary schoolers but as of now, her biggest goal is to pass her upcoming AP exams with fives and graduate high school with a GPA of at least 3.8.

Steven Guzman, New Media Editor-in-Chief

Steven Guzman is the New Media Editor-in-Chief for The Pearl Post. This is his third and final year on staff. He enjoys spending time with his friends and going online to look at dank memes or watch Youtube. On his free time, Steven loves to game online, watch his favorite TV shows and listen to his favorite tunes. He loves to talk about anything related to Marvel or DC. Steven can always be seen wearing his blue lantern ring.

Angel Van Horn, Opinion Editor

Angel Van Horn is a photographer and staff writer for The Pearl Post. This will be her first year on staff. Angel has been interested in writing for the school newspaper since her freshmen year when she found out about it. Angel enjoys taking artsy pictures and writing fiction in her free time. Her favorite book is “Eleanor and Park” and her favorite movie is “Monticarlo.” Angel hopes to improve her photo taking skills and writing skills.

Jade Campbell, Photo Editor

Jade Campbell is a Photo Editor for The Pearl Post. This is her second year on staff. She enjoys watching “Grey’s Anatomy” and “The Walking Dead.” In her free time she likes to take pictures of nature. She has one pet rabbit named Leo. Her favorite book is “The Telling.”

Richard Mendiola, Photo Editor
Richard Mendiola is a Photo Editor for the Pearl Post. This is his second year in staff, and his first year as an editor. Richard enjoys taking photos, playing basketball, and hanging out with his friends during his free time. He hopes to provide the best photos possible for the publication, and dominate Photo of...
1 Comment

One Response to “Daniel Pearl World Music Day makes its 8th annual performance”

1. Melissa Hernandez on April 4th, 2018 10:55 pm

I know this has been going on for 8 years now and that I just read the story but I love the fact that they celebrate Daniel Pearl’s life with what he loved, music. That’s the best thing to do for people who risk their lives to get to the truth.

• Daniel Pearl World Music Day makes its 8th annual performance

Kadima String Quartet performs for students

News

Tobacco Enforcement Program Director explains the dangers of underage smoking

News

New math classes prompt problems

News

New year, new plan for restorative justice

News

Teaching position in jeopardy as LAUSD rejects school’s enrollment numbers

News

Update: LA Press Club award rescinded due to submission error

Video: School lunches now being cooked on campus

News

LAUSD teachers authorize strike for higher wages, better work environments

News

Pearl Post print publication takes home first place at 60th annual LA Press Club awards

Briefs

Hey, remember when . . .