• October 17Spirit Week will be from Oct. 29 - Nov. 2

• October 17The Great California ShakeOut drill will be on Oct. 23

• October 7Senior portraits will be taken on Saturday Oct. 20

Once in lifetime ‘Hamilton’ performance for students who participated in EduHam

Steven Guzman

Julissa Rangel

Junior Emely Felix performed her original poem in front of hundreds of students before the Hamilton performance.

Sitting only five yards away from the cast members of one of the decade’s most successful musicals isn’t something many juniors in high school can say they’ve done.

Earlier within the fall semester, students enrolled in U.S. history were required to participate in a project called the Hamilton Education Initiative or EduHam. They could either work individually or in a group to produce and present a creative sketch that captured a historical event or figure of the Hamilton era. The projects required analyzation of primary sources as well as songs from the play, in order to give proper insight to the life of founding father Alexander Hamilton. In return, EduHam provided students with free admission to the live performance of Lin Manuel-Miranda’s Broadway hit “Hamilton: An American Musical” on Oct. 12.

On the day of the event, 80 formally-dressed students from Daniel Pearl Magnet High School arrived at the Pantages Theater in Hollywood and received news that they had seats at the front and center seats for not only student performances and the Q-and-A with the cast but also for the nearly three-hour play. Among one of the 15 student acts was junior Emely Felix, who performed her original poem about the impact former first lady Abigail Adams had on the women’s suffrage movement.

Following the student performances, there was a brief Q-and-A with cast members Isaiah Johnson (George Washington), Jeffery Duffy (ensemble), Andrew Wojtal (ensemble), Jennifer Locke (ensemble) and Raven Thomas (Angelica Schuyler). It was an intimate look into the lives and careers of the actors that the 2,600 students in attendance would never otherwise get to see.

“It’s important to see people on stage and in the media,” cast member Raven Thomas said. “It’s important to see that people are equally represented.”

After lunch, students were treated to the performance, which was exhilarating, to say the least. Everything was conducted beautifully: the music, the lighting, the choreography, everything about the play was alluring. The emotion expressed, the passion that went into the actors’ performances and the enthusiasm of the audience was beyond captivating. Throughout the entire performance, the only thing that came to mind was how incredibly lucky I was to resonate with such a racially diverse cast and play. American history never has nor will ever have the same effect on me, or anyone else who attended the play I’m sure, after the performance.

Julissa Rangel, Entertainment Editor

Julissa Rangel is The Pearl Post’s Entertainment Editor for the 2018-19 school year. This is her second consecutive year on staff. Outside of school, Rangel loves to watch movies, travel, go to concerts and spend time with her friends. Her favorite musical artists are Kali Uchís, Marc Anthony and Rihanna. She hopes to see them all in concert before she turns 20. Besides music, Rangel is incredibly passionate about Marxist theory, the womanist movement and teaching. She’s set on becoming an ESL teacher for elementary schoolers but as of now, her biggest goal is to pass her upcoming AP exams with fives and graduate high school with a GPA of at least 3.8.

Alyssa Cancio, Copy Editor

Alyssa Cancio is a Design Editor for The Prestige Yearbook and is looking forward to working with fellow editors Karina Mara, Zachary Gephart-Canada, Christine Valenzuela and Cj Gorospe to make the 2018-19 book exciting. She’s obsessed with seals. Her goal in life is to touch one and rub its chubby belly before she dies. She can’t stop shopping and she left her wallet in El Segundo. Her favorite color is blue, because any variation of the color blue is beautiful. She usually spends her free time scrolling through photography and fashion pages on Instagram and she loves spending time with close friends. If you don’t catch her speaking, she’s probably dreaming.

Christine Valenzuela, Copy Editor
Christine Valenzuela is a Design Editor for The Prestige Yearbook and a part-time cartoonist. She hopes to be able to incorporate creative spreads and make interesting memories with her fellow yearbook staff. Christine is currently a senior at Daniel Pearl Magnet High School and on the tennis team for Birmingham Community Charter High School. Christine...